For the denizens of the Minecraft servers
Cody The Wolf
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Taint

Post by Cody The Wolf » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:14 am

So B&B and I wanted to bring up the issue of Taint spreading on the FTB server. It become a bit of an issue, particularly with me since I'm nearly a 10 blocks away from it.
The taint area I have found so far has grown about ten times its original size in the two week I have been there. If it continues, it could overrun my base and even go as far as others.
I would personally complain if the affect was just on me, but Taint can screw up servers. So, there are three things that can be done.

Ethereal Blooms
We could all band together and learn Thaumcraft to make these things. Basically you have to put a certain seed into a cauldron with essentia to make them. They will revert taint up 8 blocks away from its light source. This would be long and painful to do, but is possible.

Disable Taint-spread
There is an option in the mod's config file that will disable the spread of taint. If we did this, there would still be taint, but we wouldn't have to worry about it taking over the entire map.

Remove Thaumcraft
Basically, we Kibosh the mod, ridding the taint, but also all the cool things that come with the mod as well.
Aiya, Essenya Epeataro!!!

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Taint

Post by black_and_blue » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:52 pm

Cody gave me a tour of the taint, and it's bad. If you ask me, Thaumcraft is overstepping its bounds here by introducing a destructive, spreading block like Taint. This block, if left unchecked, will overrun Cody's base and, if the blocks stay loaded, will eventually spread to others. I would probably be next on its path, being about 1000 blocks from Cody.

I will say right now, I am too advanced at this point to move my entire base. If this were to happen to me, I would probably simply stop playing until the next time the server is reset. I wouldn't be prepared to start over or do a mass move at this stage in the server lifecycle.

I don't think doing nothing is an option.

My first reaction is to say that the mod simply should be disabled. I don't think we can live with the negatives of the mod, so the obvious balance is we don't get the positives either. That said, is it even possible to remove a mod from a server that's been running for a while without breaking things?

If it's not possible to remove the mod, I would not be opposed to changing the config to disable taint spread, because I'm under the impression that once taint reaches a certain size, it's very, very hard to try to fight or contain.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:16 pm

Yeah, that's pretty obnoxious, and I'd agree about it overstepping its bounds. I've never heard of such a thing before being default-on in the overworld. I can't remove Thaumcraft from the server without screwing all kinds of things up, but I'll hunt down that mod config and see about disabling it. Thanks for bringing it up!

-edit-

Found it and terminated taint spread. It should no longer spread in any way. If it does, please let me know ASAP!
-Boss Llama

Cody The Wolf
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Cody The Wolf » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:59 pm

Just wanted to say that Inner has Taint not far away from him as well. I've been making Ethereal Blooms and have been planting them by my Taint. If any of you guys find silverwood trees, could you grab the shimmerleaf sprouts for me?

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:00 am

Is taint still spreading, Cody? It should not be expanding at this time, regardless of blooms, from the settings I believe I set on Monday.
-Boss Llama

Cody The Wolf
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Cody The Wolf » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:03 pm

So far I haven't seen any more spread. As for my last post, I was saying that I'm trying to remove the taint already here now.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:02 am

Ok, excellent :-D Thanks for your work!
-Boss Llama