For the denizens of the Minecraft servers
FingerDemon
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Got Milk?... or the sad tale of how mining fatigue can kill

Post by FingerDemon » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:49 pm

So, near my mountain retreat there is a guardian temple that i have been longing to plunder. Never mind that I can get all the materials except sponges from the grinders, I wanted to test my mettle against these one eyed monsters. I began by armoring my self. Then enchanting weapons. And then laboriously accumulating the needed enchanted books and potions needed for an solo underwater adventure such as this. I did my research and found a website devoted to what you would need to bring with you on such an excursion. Aqua Affinity helmet, check. Depth Strider boots, check. I had three long lasting Underwater breathing potions, 3 swiftness potions, 3 night vision potions, 3 instant health potions and 3 invisibility potions. At last I set out on my boat and drank a few potions and went over the side. I was immediately besieged by guardians and was able to kill a few. I dropped into the temple and broke a few blocks until I found an elder guardian. Dodging his eye beam, I was able to kill him and was feeling pretty good about things. I picked up the dropped sponge and went looking to mine some sea lanterns. (At the time, I didn't realize you could make them with prismarine materials.)

But by then the mining fatigue had kicked in and I was having trouble breaking blocks. I figured I just had to give it more time and kept at it. But I kept getting interrupted by impetuous guardians. I couldn't continuously mine a block long enough to break it before being lasered by guardians. It occurred to me that I could outwit them by walling myself in with cobble, so they wouldn't have a clear shot at me. Then I could take my sweet time mining the sea lanterns and prismarine all around me. I worked and worked and only slowly did it dawn on me that I was in trouble. I could not break any blocks. I abandoned the sea lanterns and started trying to break my self-built underwater cobble jail walls. At some point, I put the sponge down expecting it to drain the water. But of course you must burn it in a furnace first before that will work. So, now my only valuable plundered item sat on the floor mocking me and was also unable to be mined. As my last water breathing potion was exhausted. I used the torch against the wall trick to make brief air pockets. I thought if I could break even one block in the full amount of time between the start of my full air supply until the last half heart of health, then I might be able to free myself, albeit slowly. Alas, it takes longer than that to break cobble when under mining fatigue. I finally put my best stuff in a chest and surrendered to the invevitable. So, I learned many valuable lessons of what NOT to do when raiding a guardian temple, but my main advice to anyone attempting it is... bring milk.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Got Milk?... or the sad tale of how mining fatigue can k

Post by Boss Llama » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:41 pm

Ouch! Good story :-D Yeah, the trap of bringing walling oneself in before remembering you can't break out is rough. Doors/trapdoors will solve that, but most folks don't carry those casually.

Swimming around the whole temple invisibly with nothing but a good sword in hand, locating and killing all the elders, is probably your best bet for getting some mining action in. When all three are done, then mine/wall away! I did a test on a sponge block while mining fatuiged, to see what it took. I believe it was around three and a half minutes. Not sure what it would be for cobble!
-Boss Llama

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Snooze

Post by Flash » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:50 pm

Ouch! Sorry to hear about the trouble but I enjoyed the story, I like that positive attitude! :clap:

Good luck on the return journey to reclaim your items.

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:00 pm

That's when you take out your diamond sword and go "guardians! I'm not locking in here with you! YOUR LOCKED IN HERE WITH ME!" and you proceed to slaughter every guardian you come across on the way to the elder guardians!

ADevilishPotato
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by ADevilishPotato » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:55 pm

yeah but milk only works for a couple of seconds before the debuff gets put back on :(
WARPATH Cup '12- [WARPATH] We are running past all the heavies
The Ville Cup '12- (DYD) Dirty Dan's Double D's
Dust Bowl loves Warpath '13- (CD-i) Chokepoints and Demomen- international (Champions!)
The Ville Cup '13- [T^5] Tuber's Truly Terrifying Tator Tots
The Ville Cup '14- GCI_ Guild of Calamitous Intent