metacide
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Minecraft Beta Update

Post by metacide » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:03 am

gator wrote: It does, doesn't it! ::shrugs:: Just saying. It is called Minecraft for a reason right?

If the developer's smart, he'll make the durability a server setting so that each community can fine tune it to their own preferences. That way people can't complain that the mining component of the game is too easy or too hard.
I was trying to point out that if you're just in it for the building, you could go play one of the Sims. Was I not being facetious enough?

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:38 am

metacide wrote: I was trying to point out that if you're just in it for the building, you could go play one of the Sims. Was I not being facetious enough?
Your snark was duly noted, and duly ignored.

I do not suggest removal of monsters, mining, exploration, or health bars. I merely suggested that I would like to use the time I have in the game, and the resources I acquire via the aforementioned activities, to do something of significance. Merely running back and forth mining ore with which to build tools with which to mine ore with which to build tools with which to mine ore is not fulfilling. Spending some time building tools and mining ore, which you can then put to some other purpose, is. I enjoy all aspects of the game in moderation, but the present durability precludes a major one.

Believe me - building a mega-structure in a threat environment where you have to go find all the stuff for it is not a simple task for those of us who do not dupe materials. After dozens of man-hours, several deaths, hours of mining and exploration, and with loads of generous help and donations from other server denizens, the Notre Dame is only about half-complete. I hope to finish it, but that is unnecessarily difficult when it is made impossible to gather resources efficiently.
-Boss Llama

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:40 am

Is anyone else still really laggy on TV5 (or is it all SMPs)? It's still extremely laggy for me since the Beta update and I keep getting dropped for Java exception errors. SP has been fine and I've been tooling around with that in the meantime.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:58 am

Plinko wrote:Is anyone else still really laggy on TV5 (or is it all SMPs)? It's still extremely laggy for me since the Beta update and I keep getting dropped for Java exception errors. SP has been fine and I've been tooling around with that in the meantime.
There are issues with servers right now - I know the server I still run has had major issues.

@Alizee - There is a mode without durability - it's called Classic. It's explicitly made for people who want to build things. When you say things like you'd like a server mod to remove durability on weapons, that would be like people saying they want unlimited ammo in TF2/L4D. You'd be taking a major aspect of the game away simply because you don't like the restrictions the game puts on you. Look at it this way - if it takes you that much more work to build it, should it not be more rewarding when complete?
I am the 1%!

KRG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by KRG » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:26 am

I think the durability discussion has been run into the ground at this point. There is nothing anyone here can do about it so I suggest agreeing to disagree and moving on.

Noticed an update this morning when I started it up. States servers are outdated, I assume just needing to be updated. These server side issues you mention Masa, are speaking prior to this morning's update or post or both?
I have a butt and you do too. Let's be friends.

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:28 am

Update hit about an hour ago. Just about to update Stevo's server.

Changelog:
* Rewrote Leaf Decay for the seventeenth time, and as a result..
* .. fixed HUGE fps drops in single player
* .. fixed players getting spammed with data and getting disconnected in SMP
* .. felt like a sexy programming god
* Fixed the item dupe bug in SMP
Edit: Stevo's server is up now.

@KRG - That was as of last night. Hopefully this server fixes the problem.
I am the 1%!

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:02 pm

Was a lot of speculation that the lag was being caused by the leaf-decay; anybody get a chance to play it yet today and see if it's improved?

I like the leaf-decay mechanic a lot, hopefully it sticks around.

Whole string of patches out today, including a mando server & client one (1.1_02) just a couple hours ago. Work, Notch, Work! :-P
-Boss Llama

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:35 pm

I tried to connect once last night, the chunks took forever to load (some didn't load at all), performance was bad, and I eventually crashed every time.

Hopefully it's a bit more stable now.
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:43 pm

TheCarpe wrote:I tried to connect once three times last night, the chunks took forever to load (some didn't load at all), performance was bad, and I eventually crashed every time.

Hopefully it's a bit more stable now.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:10 pm

I checked in with KRG and bullet once the new server was running, and they said it seemed to be a little better.
I am the 1%!

KRG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by KRG » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:46 pm

Was playing handsomely until about the past hour. No lag but constant disconnections happening.

Edit: I think my disconnect issues are related here at work, noticing some rather inconsistant pings to our service provider.
I have a butt and you do too. Let's be friends.

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:53 pm

Updated TV5

metacide
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by metacide » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:16 pm

Gonzo wrote:Was playing handsomely until about the past hour. No lag but constant disconnections happening.

Edit: I think my disconnect issues are related here at work, noticing some rather inconsistant pings to our service provider.
You get to play at work?!