Mortis462
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

My new system, build pics

Post by Mortis462 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:54 pm

So as we here are all more or less computer nerds and what not I figured I would post up a build thread of my new system. I know I like to look at what others are doing so I figure there should be some interested parties here. There will be quite a few pics of varying quality as they were taken with a phone, point and shoot and my DSLR.

Anyhoo, on to the goodies and pictures.

System specs first:

CPU: - i7 3770k

GPU: - Gigabyte GTX670 OC edition

RAM: - 16GB gSkill RipJaw 1600

PSU: - SeaSonic x650 fully modular

MOBO: - ASRock Z77E-ITX

Case: - BitFenix Prodigy in white

CPU cooler: - Corsair H100

HD's: - 1x 240GB SSD Windows and apps live here
1x 120GB SSD Steam lives here
2x 2TB HD's one is main storage the other is backup

Misc: - 230mm BitFenix case fan, front air intake
140mm Noctua case fan, rear exhaust
2x 120mm Noctua fans, replacement for stock fans on H100

Wanted to do something a bit different and to get away from the behemoth of a case I have had for the last 3+ years, hence the ITX build. This system will be used for gaming, photo and video work. At some point I do plan on OCing.

Parts in boxes:
VIEW CONTENT:
Image Image
Case w/ HD cages removed and case fans in. I used the rubber mounts and the 230mm was a royal PITA to install with those. (Please excuse the appearance of Mr. Blurry cam in some of these)
VIEW CONTENT:
Image Image
CPU set and CPU cooler, I did end up rotating the block for the CPU cooler 90 degrees CCW after I took these pics:
VIEW CONTENT:
ImageImageImageImage
GPU in:
VIEW CONTENT:
ImageImage
All done, first time around:
VIEW CONTENT:
ImageImageImage
And what I believe is to be the final, little bit cleaner than the first attempt:
VIEW CONTENT:
ImageImageImage
*edit*
Now pics of it closed up and also compared to my old tower.
VIEW CONTENT:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Building an ITX system was an interesting adventure, lot more planning and fitting had to be done. It took me about 3 hours to get this one all assembled, I can easily build a "normal" system in under an hour. It was fun to do something different and it's pretty cool to have such a powerful system in such a small package. I am having absolutely no heat issues of any kind and even with the number of fans the system is very quiet, as I had hoped it would be and why I spent the extra money on the Noctua fans. It just occurred to me that I should post some comparison pics for size, I'll do that when I get home tonight.
Last edited by Mortis462 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Everyone has changed
Everything has changed
Everyone has changed
But me

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: My new system, build pics

Post by Stevo » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:43 pm

It needs more fans. :P

kallous
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by kallous » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:55 pm

Did your H100 come with stock fans? Those white ones don't look like they match.
Also... Pretty cool that your graphics card is bigger than your motherboard! I am actually quite surprised how well everything fits in there. The only thing that looks packed in tight are those standard HDD's you have in the bottom.

Excellent job! Be sure to post that girl with her case back together so we can admire her sexiness from the outside too (although we know it's what's on the inside that counts!)
"There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which should not be done at all." - Peter Drucker

OmgOhnoes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by OmgOhnoes » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:56 pm

Noctua fans and CPU heat-sinks definitely are worth the money. Should have gotten a: http://www.noctua.at/inc/imageviewer.php?item=34&pnr=0 <3

Nice setup, curious as to how much heat it'll put out.

Mortis462
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mortis462 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:26 pm

Yes the H100 does come with 2x 120mm fans. From everything I had read they were very noisy and didn't move a lot of air compared to the racket they make. So I opted to get the Noctua's.

This is my first venture into "water cooling" a close loop being the easy opt out :P I actually would prefer that Noctua air cooler you linked Ohnoes, however the ITX board pretty much eliminates all good after market coolers as they are just to big an will interfere with RAM etc. So that's why I went with the H100. I specifically picked the H100 over the H80/H60 because I didn't care about having an internal disc drive and honestly just wanted to screw around with this build.

Now pics of it closed up and also compared to my old tower.
VIEW CONTENT:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Everyone has changed
Everything has changed
Everyone has changed
But me

Checkm8
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Checkm8 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:28 pm

OmgOhnoes wrote:Noctua fans and CPU heat-sinks definitely are worth the money. Should have gotten a: http://www.noctua.at/inc/imageviewer.php?item=34&pnr=0 <3

Nice setup, curious as to how much heat it'll put out.
By the looks of it... That heat sink would not fit.

Its a cute little powerhouse, it is!

Soltan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Soltan » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:27 pm

That Noctua heatsink is in my rig. I love it. Only downside is that it overhangs ALL of my RAM slots. Not a big deal though (don't need the massive heatsinks on my RAM).

El_Hefe
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by El_Hefe » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:59 pm

that case looks tiny! :|

MrBlah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MrBlah » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:14 pm

Definitely like the style. I had never heard of the ITX system before this. Only ATX and BTX. I will be looking into this for my next build.
Eater of Potatoes, since 2008.

I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Mortis462
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mortis462 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:45 pm

So after 2 hours in BL2 with all setting maxed, max CPU temp was 51 and max GPU temp was 60. Quite happy with that :)

*edit*

Forgot to mention that those temperatures were with the H100 on it's lowest fan speed setting, so bonus. :dance:
Everyone has changed
Everything has changed
Everyone has changed
But me

kallous
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by kallous » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:15 am

Mortis462 wrote:Image
Not that I'm into naming things, but that rig make me think of "Stich" from Disney's Lilo & Stich. Small, cute, big ears and LOTS of power! If only it was blue...
"There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which should not be done at all." - Peter Drucker

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:38 am

MrBlah wrote:Definitely like the style. I had never heard of the ITX system before this. Only ATX and BTX. I will be looking into this for my next build.
ITX and it's tiny partner mini-ITX are for extra small systems. It's pretty rare to get home computers this way, but they seem to be reasonably popular for industrial applications. Also, at least one of the labs in my old grad school's library is full of mini-ITX computers that are roughly the size of cable modems. When I get around to having some kind of financial stability again, I'm hoping to build a mini-ITX rig. I thought Mort was crazy when he told me he was building an ITX gaming rig, but he sure proved me wrong here!
-Boss Llama

kallous
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by kallous » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:25 am

Alizée Fan wrote:I thought Mort was crazy when he told me he was building an ITX gaming rig, but he sure proved me wrong here!
I disagree. I'm fairly convinced Mort's psychological disposition was determined long ago... WELL before this seemingly hair-braned scheme came along and confirmed his state of mental instability. Not only would you have to be crazy to dream this up, but imagine the depths of psycotic depravity he went through to pull it off!!! :-P

Mortis462
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mortis462 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:51 pm

kallous wrote: I disagree. I'm fairly convinced Mort's psychological disposition was determined long ago... WELL before this seemingly hair-braned scheme came along and confirmed his state of mental instability. Not only would you have to be crazy to dream this up, but imagine the depths of psycotic depravity he went through to pull it off!!! :-P
:blah:

Everyone has changed
Everything has changed
Everyone has changed
But me

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…