Need help with bandwidth usage. (monitoring program?)

A forum for computer hardware and software issues
Refuel
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Need help with bandwidth usage. (monitoring program?)

Post by Refuel » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:19 pm

So my internet connection is through a verizon 4g mobile hotspot device. My plan is 10gb with 10$ a gig overage. I recently built a new computer which is windows 7 as opposed to XP. On my old system the bandwidth usage was pretty light. Since i've been on the new windows 7 box i've noticed my internet usage per the meter I use was much much higher than i expected. I reset all of the bandwidth counters including the one on the hotspot device itself (samsung sch-lc11) and started at 0 MB. After a small browsing session my meter (shaplus 1.3) it was reading 100mb used but when i went into the mobile hotspot statistics through the device iteself (192.168.1.1) it showed a more modest 25mb so I know shaplus must be wrong. I tried using a few other bandwidth monitoring programs but all had wide variances from what the actual modem was reporting.

End result. What is the most accurate bandwidth monitoring tool to help me manage my usage? Also since i just use this computer to run steam, play a few games, and browse the internet, are there any things I should change in W7 to reduce my bandwidth (I.E. turning off automatic updates or other services?)??

Any help would be appreciated.

El_Hefe
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Need help with bandwidth usage. (monitoring program?)

Post by El_Hefe » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:07 pm

I use the one from here.. is a gadget
http://addgadgets.com/

The Spanish Inquisition
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by The Spanish Inquisition » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:22 pm

Win7 keeps an open socket to microsoft going pretty much all the time on my machine. WinXp does not. I don't remember why it does it or how to shut it off but it is there. How much bandwidth it uses, I don't recall. Sleep mode might be wise.

The report coming from the actual hotspot router is probably the best one to go off. Can you not just create a bookmark to the stats page (ex. 192.168.0.1/stats/)
Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition!

El_Hefe
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by El_Hefe » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:00 pm

or if your router keeps a traffic meter

Refuel
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Refuel » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:54 am

I go right from the wireless hotspot to the onboard wifi on the system.

I need to man up and just get a t1 but its gonna cost me 250 with a contract for 2 years. Then again with my wireless bill what it is,, might be worth it.

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Flash » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:08 am

The counter on the 4G Hotspot is going to be the most accurate I would think. Plus if there is a dispute (bill higher than it should be) you can point right to their own hardware as supporting your claim of lower usage.

Goryion
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Goryion » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:31 pm

Man, having only Cell and T1 internet as your only options sucks. T1's aren't THAT good. Pretty slow, but at least you get good latency and unlimited traffic. There's no fixed Wireless solutions in your area? Remind me not to move to Tempe... :|