OmgOhnoes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Logitech G510 Tips

Post by OmgOhnoes » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:44 am

Alright, so i decided to get a new keyboard and the G510 was my choice. http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/keyboards/keyboards/7246

Not necessarily for the macro keys and or the LCD display but i'd like to take advantage of them which is why i'm here.

If anyone has any experience with this model or other LCD models and has some tips i'd appreciate it.

As far as i can tell the best use for the LCD so far is to navigate TeamSpeak or Mumble without alt-tabbing. Seeing who is talking is nice without blocking parts of the screen.

The TF2 applet hasn't been updated in years so it's probably of no benefit.

Thanks for your help!

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Logitech G510 Tips

Post by The Domer » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:02 pm

Is that a mechanical keyboard?

OmgOhnoes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by OmgOhnoes » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:08 pm

The Domer wrote:Is that a mechanical keyboard?
No, my experience with mechanical keyboards has been less than par so i decided to not go that route this time.

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by The Domer » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:53 pm

Hmm, everyone I know who's had a mechanical keyboard swears by them - I've always wondered if I should upgrade. Interesting that you had a mediocre experience.

OmgOhnoes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by OmgOhnoes » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:55 pm

The Domer wrote:Hmm, everyone I know who's had a mechanical keyboard swears by them - I've always wondered if I should upgrade. Interesting that you had a mediocre experience.
They are great... when they work. If you don't care about longevity and replacement cost then mechanical is the way to go; for me it wasn't worth it.

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:08 pm

Been using the g15 and now the g19 for years. My most used apps are VOIP and performance monitors. use fraps to view FPS charts, you can get aidi64 or use the logitech performance app, all voip have their own app you can enable (skype, ts3, vent, and mumble)

With thew g19 I can watch movies and youtube on the lcd with stock apps.

Cat Square
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cat Square » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:38 pm

i have a mechanical Coolermaster CM Storm Quickfire Rapid and I love it. The clicking of the keys is like music to my ears and my movement has gotten a lot better since getting one. Also, I like the Quickfire Rapid because it doesn't have a 10-key, meaning I can move my giant mousepad (puretrak talent) closer to the center of my desk.

OldMan
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by OldMan » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:50 pm

OmgOhnoes wrote:Alright, so i decided to get a new keyboard and the G510 was my choice. http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/keyboards/keyboards/7246

Not necessarily for the macro keys and or the LCD display but i'd like to take advantage of them which is why i'm here.

If anyone has any experience with this model or other LCD models and has some tips i'd appreciate it.

As far as i can tell the best use for the LCD so far is to navigate TeamSpeak or Mumble without alt-tabbing. Seeing who is talking is nice without blocking parts of the screen.

The TF2 applet hasn't been updated in years so it's probably of no benefit.

Thanks for your help!
I just bought that exact same keyboard from Newegg! So far I've used the LCD for TeamSpeak and the stopwatch. I haven't used any of the profiles, I just made my own. I set M1 up as TF2 and matched it's LED color to my mouse. I have a MS Sidewinder X8, it's LED's are red. I use the G-keys as engie macros. G7-15 are quick build/destruct keys, it works really well. I'm setting up g13-18 as admin macros I think, that way it's right at my fingertips. I like the feel of this keyboard and the built in sound card is nice. If I find any cool things to do with it, I'll let ya know!

OmgOhnoes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by OmgOhnoes » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:42 pm

OldMan wrote:
I just bought that exact same keyboard from Newegg! So far I've used the LCD for TeamSpeak and the stopwatch. I haven't used any of the profiles, I just made my own. I set M1 up as TF2 and matched it's LED color to my mouse. I have a MS Sidewinder X8, it's LED's are red. I use the G-keys as engie macros. G7-15 are quick build/destruct keys, it works really well. I'm setting up g13-18 as admin macros I think, that way it's right at my fingertips. I like the feel of this keyboard and the built in sound card is nice. If I find any cool things to do with it, I'll let ya know!
I was thinking of using G keys for quick build but i already have F1-F4 configured via script for quick build and destruct. I find the macro keys seem to be very far away to take your movement WASD hand off of the keyboard and not be able to move don't you?

OldMan
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by OldMan » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:13 pm

I don't use WASD, never have, never will. I have pretty large hands and the reach to the G keys is really easy for me. It's just a short pinky stretch away.

I use R for forward, F for reverse, E to jump, and Q for leftstrafe and W for rightstrafe. That way I use my index finger to find the F key by feel, the little bump works great. V for crouch. It's a much more natural hand placement for me and my hand never cramps up. I've always wondered how people ever use WASD, it's such an unnatural position. How do they strafe?

Flaming Cheese Wheel
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flaming Cheese Wheel » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:55 pm

That's not the most peculiar control arrangement that I've heard about, but it's up there. :)

I use ESDF and strafe with my ring and index fingers. I didn't like WASD because I like being in the natural typing position instead of one key off. Also, ESDF makes it easier to use the other keys around it.

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:48 am

Flaming Cheese Wheel wrote:That's not the most peculiar control arrangement that I've heard about, but it's up there. :)

I use ESDF and strafe with my ring and index fingers. I didn't like WASD because I like being in the natural typing position instead of one key off. Also, ESDF makes it easier to use the other keys around it.

Well, ESDF still use the same pattern, except is further off from the side of the keyboard. I honestly wish I used this from the beginning since now it is impossible to change.

However, Oldman's setup seems pretty odd to me. I'm sure it would make a lot of more sense if I knew where the fingers rested. You mentioned finding f with index, is index also used for r. With WASD and likewise ESDF you use middle finger for forward and backward just slipping it forward to go forward or backward to go backward.

I'm guessing you use thumb on V, but for QW do you use two fingers or one? obviously for opposite directions you don't need to rest multiple fingers, one of the problems with WASD.

I do think ESDF most closely matches the rest position for typing (index fingers on notches f/j and thumbs on space bar.

One of my biggest peeves as a gamer is why "important" keys need to be so big. Even as a typist I don't think return, shift, and capslock need to be larger keys. And I would really prefer two small spacebars compared to one that spans the entire keyboard. Also, why is there a numpad on my keyboard? Why do calculators and phones have inversed directions for their number pads? Also, I have a numpad on the side of my g600 mouse.

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stevo » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:01 am

BigBiker05 wrote:Also, why is there a numpad on my keyboard?
It can be used for typing numbers.

Flaming Cheese Wheel
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flaming Cheese Wheel » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:04 pm

There are some odd little keypad devices that give you keys laid out for gaming and aren't full keyboards... I don't think they ever really caught on with anyone though.