rammy
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Headset

Post by rammy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:52 pm

Ok. So I am looking for a new headset with great sound. I need suggestions. I am looking at the RAZER Megalodon and have seen mixed reviews. Anyone?

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Headset

Post by Boss Llama » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:21 pm

I'm not an audiophile or anything, but I've had great success with the Plantronics 355. I've got a pretty huge head, as well as glasses, and I can comfortably wear these things for most of the day. My previous two or three headsets snapped from trying to fit my head, but this one has been solid for around three years now, with no issues. It's also very affordable, at something like $25.00. I don't know how many speakers it has in it or if it qualifies as surround sound or anything, but it's good enough I can hunt down invisible spies by their footsteps with ease, and that's good enough for me.

I'm not familiar with the Razer Magalodon, but I've never had any luck with USB headsets, and that price point seems ludicrous unless you're doing audio mixing or something that requires really amazing fidelity. Personally, I'd save some green and go for a reliable, comfortable, standard set that won't break my heart if I accidently roll over the cord a couple too many times.
-Boss Llama

Mortis462
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mortis462 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:36 pm

Love my Logitech G935, have had it for over a year and would highly recommend them. If you're not interested in wireless I know they make a wired version. I had a Plantronics 777 before and it was alright, broke with in a year of almost daily use. my .02 cents
Everyone has changed
Everything has changed
Everyone has changed
But me

bluntspoon
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by bluntspoon » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:08 pm

MateoTheBold!
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by MateoTheBold! » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:24 pm

If you are looking for headphones with great sound, I would highly recommend you pick up a pair that are open air, no mater what brand. They traditionally produce a better quality of sound by nature of the design.

The explanation why, stolen from wikipedia:
VIEW CONTENT:
Open-back headphones have the back of the earcups open. This leaks more sound out of the headphone and also lets more ambient sounds into the headphone, but gives a more natural or speaker-like sound and more spacious "soundscape" - the perception of distance from the source.

Closed-back (or sealed) styles have the back of the earcups closed. Depending on the model they may block 8-32db of ambient noise, but have a smaller soundscape, giving the wearer a perception that the sound is coming from within their head.[6], one reason for this is that there are sounds reflected back towards the ear.

Closed back are much more common (a lot of people use headphones to block noise and don't want their headphones leaking noise out to bother others).
I bought a mid range set of nice headphones that are broken in, and thus sound fantastic, and I have never been able to stomach splurging for another pair that has excellent sound with a built in a mic, so I use my headphones, and a second cheapo head/set mic portion that hangs around my neck with the mic pointed up towards my mouth. Its awkward, but it lets my keep me nice sounding headphones:

I use Grado SR-80's for my sound: http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestige-Se ... 868&sr=8-1

The SR-60's are $20 cheaper and will actually sound better on a mp3 player then the 80's, so they might be a better pick up if you would use the headphones on the computer/on the go.

I doubt most would go with this solution, but its what I use. :bash:
Last edited by MateoTheBold! on Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Warpath Cup- FU-2011, FAIL 2012
Villeympics- BB 2011, USAHB 2012
Ville Cup- HK 2011, SNES 2012, :TIME: 2013, CTB 2014

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:38 pm

Cheap but good quality
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/webcam-co ... adset-h530

I used to have a wireless Logitech headset but the quality was bad, and it eventually wouldn't hold the charge.

bluntspoon
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by bluntspoon » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:47 pm

MateoTheBold! wrote:..... so I use my headphones, and a second cheapo head/set mic portion that hangs around my neck with the mic pointed up towards my mouth. Its awkward, but it lets my keep me nice sounding headphones:
Good gravy Mateo, spend $9 on this

http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic1-Se ... 00029MTMQ/

And make your life all kinds of better.

OmgOhnoes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by OmgOhnoes » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:10 am

MateoTheBold! wrote: so I use my headphones, and a second cheapo head/set mic portion that hangs around my neck with the mic pointed up towards my mouth. Its awkward, but it lets my keep me nice sounding headphones:
LOL no wonder you always had to adjust your voice\mic in the cup.

On that note i have a TurtleBeach Earforce X11 + amp, so i think that makes them X12 or something. With the optical out they aren't too bad; I wouldnt' recommend them for analog, nor paying full price for them.

One cavet is that randomly any given program or video will have a whining sound in it which requires you restart the program with said whining. Not sure what causes it but has been documented by other people; not a deal breaker for me.

Only other issue i have with it is if you are watching movies with it, portions with silence still have that speaker noise you get from speakers which are on. If you know what noise i'm talking about then you will likely notice it; otherwise you probably won't.

The Mrs. recently picked up a pair of G35's, she likes them but complains the ear cups are too small. She has small ears, i pitty to think what i'd feel like in them. No problems on that front with my X11's though.

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:27 am

Quite a few of us use the:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012X ... 00_details

I'll swear by it.

BETTEH
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BETTEH » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:02 am

I have a set of RAZER Magalodons Rammy, and I love them. They are incredibly comfortable and have great sound. I have had them since they came out, and have never given me trouble.
2004 DOD Ville Cup Champs - Hobo Strike Squad
Fanciful Unicorn! 2011 Warpath Cup + Villympics Champs.

ketchuo
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by ketchuo » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:15 pm

MateoTheBold! wrote:..... so I use my headphones, and a second cheapo head/set mic portion that hangs around my neck with the mic pointed up towards my mouth. Its awkward, but it lets my keep me nice sounding headphones:
You could use a desktop microphone and headphone setup like I do, here's the mic I use

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Labtec-D ... 306&sr=8-2

NerevarineKing
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by NerevarineKing » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:38 pm

ketchuo wrote:You could use a desktop microphone and headphone setup like I do
I'm not alone!

I use this currently:
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Desktop- ... B00009EHJV

I've had this thing for 3-4 years and I haven't had any problems with it. The only drawback is how much background noise it picks up.
I used a headset for a month or so, but it broke. I wasn't too sad because it hurt my ear. (And it was a gift).
Warpath Cup '12- [ICU] Inner Children Unleashed (Champions!)
Villympics '12- [USAHB] USA Handbrake
The Ville Cup '12- [SOLTAN] Solis Tanquam
Warpath Loves Dustbowl '13- \SOBAD/
The Ville Cup '14- GCI| Guild of Calamitous Intent

MateoTheBold!
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by MateoTheBold! » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:46 pm

ketchuo wrote: You could use a desktop microphone and headphone setup like I do, here's the mic I use

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Labtec-D ... 306&sr=8-2
bluntspoon wrote: Good gravy Mateo, spend $9 on this

http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic1-Se ... 00029MTMQ/

And make your life all kinds of better.
Sadly my cheapo second headset was more expensive then both of these options. I'm definitely going to do one of these.

Thanks for the tips!

Warpath Cup- FU-2011, FAIL 2012
Villeympics- BB 2011, USAHB 2012
Ville Cup- HK 2011, SNES 2012, :TIME: 2013, CTB 2014

trilobite
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by trilobite » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:31 pm

Probably too late but I'll tell you my setup anyways, rammy.

PLANTRONICS GameCom 377 Open-ear 3.5mm Circumaural Gaming Headset
Here is a link on newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6826265065

These cover the ear but have vents that let in outside sound.
The Plantronics 367 is sealed from outside sounds.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6826265064
The little mic folds snuggly out of the way.

Read the reviews at newegg and pick the setup that's best for you.

These are fairly low cost headsets that perform quite well for game audio IMHO.
Keep in mind that many users report the overhead connecter plastic is flimsy and may break with rugged use. I generally treat my equipment with respect so I have had no problems with breakage.

I use this headset for playing games. When I want to listen to music, I take off my headphones and I fire up my wonderful vintage Advent speakers and blow the house down.

Gizanked
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Gizanked » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:18 pm

I've had my razer set for about 2 years now and I think it sounds great. it isn't the megaladon set but the one that starts with a "c" with the 3.5mm plugs instead of usb.
http://www.tf2items.com/id/evagizanked
the artist formerly known as Replica