Checkm8
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Cell Phone suggestions

Post by Checkm8 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:43 pm

Welp, I went with the DROID 4. It took a little learning cure to get used to the UI. I must say that I really enjoy the smart actions app. I use a google calender so I have the logic set up so the phone is put in silent mode while I am in class or in a scheduled event on my calendar. Also, I can set rules for battery consumption, turning off Wifi, etc... Pretty neat so far. I have been thoroughly searching for apps. I mainly search for "tool" related apps and not social applications. I have my music related apps in order. Anyone have any good suggestions for useful apps?

Gizanked
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Gizanked » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:36 pm

hmmmm. useful apps.

pandora is a nice one if you are a pandora user.
beautiful widgets is i think 99 cents but the weather and battery widgets it provides I enjoy
ringdroid I use to make ringtones. at $150,000 a piece.

most of the other crap on my phone are either games or social things.
twitter, facebook, g+ foursquare, steam mobile

angry birds, cut the rope, drawsomething,

or sports related like nbc sports line or nfl '11

I think gator has a ton of those "productivity" apps
http://www.tf2items.com/id/evagizanked
the artist formerly known as Replica

Blown65
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Blown65 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:47 pm

Just bought a big Samsung Note. Pretty nice phone. I dont really talk a lot on the phone but use it for other uses which the bigger size is nice for me.

Would look pretty silly next to your ear all the time for the size of the phone. heh

Best camera in a phone I've owned and beautiful screen to it.

BETTEH
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BETTEH » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:49 pm

Don't you have an app on your phone giz that lets you take pictures of arbitrary objects, hit it with sepia tone, and then upload it to deviant art with a click of the button. You artsy types are super tech savvy.
2004 DOD Ville Cup Champs - Hobo Strike Squad
Fanciful Unicorn! 2011 Warpath Cup + Villympics Champs.

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:29 pm

with the nfl network app on verizon, you can stream nfl network and all primetime games!
CG6505 CPT Nelson LCDR Wischmeier AST1 Skimin AMT2 Nichols-4SEP08
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09
CG6017 LT Krueger AMT1 Hoke AMT2 Banks-07JUL10
CG6535 LCDR Taylor LTjg Cameron ASTC Jorge AET3 Knight-29FEB12
WPB87340-2 BMC Terrell Horne-2Dec12
WMSL751 BM3 Obendorf-18DEC13

Checkm8
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Checkm8 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:01 pm

Cpt._Keyes wrote:with the nfl network app on verizon, you can stream nfl network and all primetime games!
That's pretty neat. I saw the app and was like... why is they an embedded app? I am with verizon so that's something new I was unaware of.

Gearloose
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Gearloose » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:14 am

Late to the party, but I'll add my comments since others might be in the same boat.

I just got a Galaxy Nexus a week and a half ago. It's my first smart phone, and I'm really liking it.

Comments:

It's much larger than I expected. It's thin, but wider and taller than any cell I've seen before. But other than needing a secure pocket for it, I'm finding this is actually a good thing since it makes it easier for me to mash the onscreen keyboard with my big fingers.

Battery life could be better. If I just use it for the occasional pass through TweetDeck, I can get away with charging it every three days - four at the very outside. But if I'm playing a lot of Angry Birds, I have to charge every other day.

I really like the screen. Bright colors, very responsive to touches. TweetDeck works beautifully as does every other app I've tried. I haven't had many opportunities to paw at Apply touch screen products so I can't really make a comparison though.

All the major games are out for Android now, and there's no shortage of other apps. I'm not at all hurting for app selection. Plus with Android being less of a walled garden, there is better opportunity for actually dealing with files. One thing that put me off of iPhones was there didn't seem to be much of a concept of files - with Android I can get ftp and file syncing apps to mirror things like shopping lists from my PC over the wireless. Having generic text and CSV editors also frees me from lock-in to special-purpose apps for things like shopping lists.

I was confused about how to actually answer a phone call on the thing though. :) Took me four rings to figure it out. Sound quality in both directions is good but I wouldn't want to use it as a speakerphone without a dock.

Sometimes I get a burning sensation in my little fingers while using it for a long time - probably just the antenna soaking them with microwavey goodness.