arfy4
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Laptop Shopping

Post by arfy4 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:11 am

Well, I've been getting back into games on a family members laptop, and now I'm Searching for a laptop to buy for myself so I'll be able to play whenever I want I'm currently looking at an HP Envy 15 which I can get from Costco for about $1200. The specs would be as follows;

Processor & Memory:

Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM Processor at 2.2GHz (Turbo Boost up to 3.10GHz)
8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1,333MHz (1 DIMM)
Drives:
750GB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
Slot-loading SuperMulti DVD burner
Operating System:
Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Graphics & Video:
15.6-inch diagonal Radiance Full HD Infinity LED-backlit display (1920 x 1080)
Radeon™ HD 7690M switchable graphics with 1024MB GDDR5 and up to 5093MB total
graphics memory
Communications:
Intel 2x2 802.11a/b/g/n WLAN(10b) + Bluetooth® with WiDi
Network Card: 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)
Webcam: HP TrueVision HD Webcam (Skype HD capable) with integrated microphone
Audio:
Beats Audio™ with 6 speakers and a subwoofer
HP Wireless Audio
Keyboard:
Backlit Keyboard: HP Radiance backlit keyboard
Ports:
2 SuperSpeed USB 3.0
1 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0
1 DisplayPort
1 HDMI
1 RJ-45 (LAN)
2 Headphone-out
1 Microphone-in

Wondering about opinions on this, if anyone can find something else with similar specs for less money, things like that. I'm hoping to be able to play more demanding games on high settings (Borderlands, Sonic Generations, etc.)

Pwnstar
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Laptop Shopping

Post by Pwnstar » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:30 am

Build a tower

arfy4
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by arfy4 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:33 am

I was planning to buy a new laptop then build a tower because I would like to be able to take a computer capable of playing games like this with me places rather than having to leave it at home.

Clay Pigeon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Clay Pigeon » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:08 am

arfy4 wrote:I was planning to buy a new laptop then build a tower because I would like to be able to take a computer capable of playing games like this with me places rather than having to leave it at home.
And where are you going to be going where you will be playing games?

/gaming laptops are great in theory, but they rarely get used for gaming outside the home.
//may as well build a gaming desktop and buy a cheap laptop or netbook for browsing/word processing for the same $$ you would spend for a gaming laptop.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power tyrants and dictators cannot stand." - The prophet G'Kar

arfy4
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by arfy4 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:17 am

I go on vacation, sometimes I get bored, I want something to do. I didn't want to be told to build a desktop instead, I wanted actual recommendations for laptops with similar specs and opinions on the laptop I am currently looking at.

crimsonshootingstar
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by crimsonshootingstar » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:20 am

I buy from here http://www.ibuypower.com/ my laptop from i buy power survived a tour of duty in Afghanistan and a further 2 years and performed excellently.

"A shooting star doesn't have a past. It burns like a flame and then is gone before your eyes. That's my kind of life."

arfy4
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by arfy4 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:36 am

I'll definitely look into ibuypower. From just quickly looking at the site it looks pretty good.

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:34 am

/gaming laptops are great in theory, but they rarely get used for gaming outside the home.
My 'gaming laptop' is excellent for games and runs every one of my games beautifully.
But I also use it heavily for web design, programming, graphics, word processing (aka work), video editing, music writing.
It also runs raves.

And often does all this at the same time.

I love my M14X and would buy another.
:D

MrBlah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MrBlah » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:42 am

TBH, I'm not much for laptops. I have one that I take everywhere, but it wasn't very expensive as I don't use it for gaming, even though it's mildly capable.

Keep in mind, if you get a Core i7 gaming laptop, it will overheat. It will ALWAYS get hot. You will have issues cooling and will always have to bring a cooling pad with you which will cost you at least another $40-50 for one that will be sufficient.

If I were you, I would spend about $600-800 on a laptop instead. Look for a Core i5 laptop with 4GB of RAM and a dedicated video card. That will play all the games you want while you are away(although not on high settings), and it will also still provide you with good battery life as well. Lenovo's are amazing. I love my ThinkPad. It is a basic design and isn't flashy. It's utilitarian. Only what you need. They also have neat battery saving software if you are not anywhere near a 110V AC Plug which allows you to get as much as 4-5 hours of battery life while only doing basic things like writing and Interneting.

This would allow you save up some extra and then spend more on a desktop, which would be your true powerhouse and an awesome gaming computer.
Eater of Potatoes, since 2008.

I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:00 am

my i7 lappy... burninates...it has even melted the lacquer on the table i play on at work...that being said...i have used a gaming laptop for the past...4 years...since i go from place to place...and have my alienware desktop for when im home...I also use the laptop for when im too lazy to get out of bed...and still want to play a game...lazy gaming!!
CG6505 CPT Nelson LCDR Wischmeier AST1 Skimin AMT2 Nichols-4SEP08
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09
CG6017 LT Krueger AMT1 Hoke AMT2 Banks-07JUL10
CG6535 LCDR Taylor LTjg Cameron ASTC Jorge AET3 Knight-29FEB12
WPB87340-2 BMC Terrell Horne-2Dec12
WMSL751 BM3 Obendorf-18DEC13

arfy4
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by arfy4 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:17 pm

I am gonna try to stay away from alienware and such, I don't want to spend that much money on a laptop, however, ibuypower looks like they have a sufficient laptop that I could buy and then have enough money approximately a year later to build a very nice desktop

Pwnstar
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Pwnstar » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:28 pm

Something I cant stress enough with gaming laptops is HOW MUCH they can burn the legs! Just keep that in mind if you want kids later

arfy4
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by arfy4 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:49 pm

That would be an advantage with HP. They detect when they're on your lap and cool themselves faster when they are. Also the aluminum on the Envy 15 cools very nicely.

One_Medic_Army
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by One_Medic_Army » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:56 pm

I've had my ASUS G51-vx for several years, and it's a good machine. 10lbs worth of machine, that still plays current gen games on high settings at 1920x1080. I also liked the second drive bay back when it was my main computer for college.
It's also nice for what I bought it for, running Solidworks.
This is the equivalent ASUS to the HP you've described, and it's roughly the same price on newegg.
I fully endorse getting stuff at costco for the return policies and such, just throwing another option out there.
ImageImage
VIEW CONTENT:

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:25 pm

Keep in mind, if you get a Core i7 gaming laptop, it will overheat. It will ALWAYS get hot. You will have issues cooling and will always have to bring a cooling pad with you which will cost you at least another $40-50 for one that will be sufficient.
Errr....mine doesn't. Core i7.
It should be reworded to something like: "If you are going to game for a while, then it will get hot."
On day to day stuff, it never gets hot. Period.

The heat comes from when it switches from the Intel graphics card to the nVidia graphics card.