Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

How should I go about this?

Post by BigBiker05 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:16 am

Created a new thread.
Last edited by BigBiker05 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: How should I go about this?

Post by Boss Llama » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:48 am

Selling an old gaming PC is touchy, and will never bring in nearly as much as it feels like it should. The system specs you list could be recreated 100% new for less than $500 from scratch, and more powerful system could be had even more cheaply (some old parts are more expensive than the new, better stuff). Places like Newegg and Tiger Direct also regularly do package deals that would be more tempting to a knowledgable buyer than a used box with no warranty (OC'ing eliminates that, if it was still there). Both Newegg and TD have an E6600 system right now for $350 new, for example, and $400 can get a new mid-level i3 box. Your graphics card is still a perfectly respectable piece of hardware, but probably outclasses the rest of the box significantly. A buyer in the low-end market could drop in an inexpensive card like a 6670 and probably be quite pleased.

If it were me, I would pretty much forget the idea of making money from the old system, and either drop in a new mobo/CPU/ram as upgrade, or build a second box but keep the first as a dual/standby system. I've pretty much run like that for years, keeping my previous system next to my primary as a second computer. When it comes time for another new system, I format and clean install the now third-string box, and give it away to somebody who needs a computer for email, internet, job searching, etc.
-Boss Llama

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:41 am

Yeah, it looks like I'll just reformat and clean swipe this PC and give it to my parents. They currently have a dell I bought for them for x-mas like 3 years ago on sell for $200. They complain whenever it gets slow that it is the wireless internet, I tell them NO it's an outdated PC that was crap when I bought it. Of course that means nothing to them and they find a way to blame me.

Guess it's time to start pricing parts. The age old question, 1 super good graphics card, or two not bad graphics cards?

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:43 am

My answer to that question is always thus:

Decide your budget, and check this monthly chart from Tom's Hardware :-D
-Boss Llama