BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Mass Effect 2 runs slow

Post by BigBiker05 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:38 am

So I have this problem for awhile now with extremely long loading times in Mass Effect 2. When I first played ME2 it was a pirated copy and I didn't have this problem. I started to enjoy the game a few hours in so I bought a copy off steam. However, I got distracted and didn't play it for awhile. Then when I did get around to playing it the load times were really long. I asked for help and I was told it was probably a hard drive issue. My thoughts were, when i first played my hard drive probably wasn't that crowded and now it did, sounds right.

Well now with ME3 around the corner I want to get my perfect save game to transfer, except now I'm having the super long loading screens, this makes part of the game unbearable, for example, on your ship when every room you have to take the elevator and have a 4 minute loading screen. My hard drive is nearly empty, I just defragged. My computer says my processor is getting maxed out. So why would a steam copy and a pirated copy be so much different?

bz
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Mass Effect 2 runs slow

Post by bz » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:00 am

Assuming it's a hardware issue: a google search suggests opening the game, minimizing, setting the affinity for masseffect2.exe to a single core, and then re-enabling the second. This is also assuming you have a dual-core processor, but it seemed to be worth a shot, though apparently it would need to be repeated every time the application is run.
Similar affinity fixes have worked for me, for a variety of issues with several different games.

Also, as a last resort, there are replacement, non-animated load screens available that increase decrease (dur de dur) load times, though your issue seems to be of a somewhat more technical nature.
Last edited by bz on Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fear no darkness.

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Mass Effect 2 runs slow

Post by BigBiker05 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:11 am

bz wrote:Assuming it's a hardware issue: a google search suggests opening the game, minimizing, setting the affinity for masseffect2.exe to a single core, and then re-enabling the second. This is also assuming you have a dual-core processor, but it seemed to be worth a shot, though apparently it would need to be repeated every time the application is run.
Similar affinity fixes have worked for me, for a variety of issues with several different games.

Also, as a last resort, there are replacement, non-animated load screens available that increase load times, though your issue seems to be of a somewhat more technical nature.
So task manager, set affinity... uncheck one, save, recheck it, save? I'll try this out.