Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Tablet shopping advice

Post by Zork Nemesis » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:30 pm

I'm in the market to get myself a tablet of sorts to help out with school. While the specific idea is electronic textbooks, there's far more that I could do with one and it seems like a good idea, especially considering my current degree path (digital media technology). It seems like a good thing to have this semester as well as I have a class on Web Page Design. The problem is that I really don't know what to get or look for, there's too much out there and I have a bad habbit of springing on the first thing I see, a thing I did with my first laptop.

I'm looking to spend maybe 250-300 dollars, but if it comes to it, 500 is the absolute highest I could go and only if it's really worth it. Any advice or suggestions on what to consider would be great.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Tablet shopping advice

Post by Flash » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:58 pm

Well the first obvious suggestions seems to be the iPad. Have you already ruled this out for one reason or another?

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:08 pm

I've been told iPads are very expensive and my brother is trying to get me to pick up one compatable with Android software, he's mentioned Honeycomb or better.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.

One_Medic_Army
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by One_Medic_Army » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:20 pm

I have an iPad, for $500 you wouldn't get 3G or very much storage.
It is nice, but I'd say to go with an android device or something with fullblown Windows if you can find it.

Check how well they handle Pdf files, since you want to read textbooks on it.
ImageImage
VIEW CONTENT:

bluntspoon
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by bluntspoon » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:46 pm

I have a nook color hacked with CM7 on it. (Android 2.3) It's very easy to put on, in fact I run it off a microsd card so that at any time I can simply remove the card and it becomes a regular nook again. I enjoy the heck out of it. Full access to the Android market so if you already have an android phone any apps will automatically download to it when you sign in. Barnes and Noble has great deals on refurbed nooks on ebay. They are indistinguishable from new.

Wife has a Kindle Fire and she enjoys that also. A lot more locked down but it's good for her.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:44 am

I've been refered to today's Woot deal as a potential option. What's the consensus on this one?

Toshiba Thrive 10.1” 16GB Android Tablet, says it was build on Honeycomb 3.1 and it's only $280

OldMan
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by OldMan » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:18 pm

Hey Zork,

Did you ever get a tablet?? I just snagged one off of craigslist. It's a viewsonic gtablet. It has a dual core processor and really nice graphics. The guy I got it from hated it and just wanted to get rid of it. Well, turns out the OS that comes on it is, how shall I put this, the worst bloody thing on the planet? Yea that sums it up. He found it slow and annoying to operate. So I read a few forums, got a hold of some new ROMs and after I loaded honeycomb on it, it's a blazing monster! I love it! I HIGHLY recommend finding one of these. It's a couple of years old, but at the price point, totally worth it. I got mine for $85. It's always had a screen protector on it and he threw in a really nice leather case/stand. It runs every app I have thrown at it so far. With the Tegra video chip, it plays HD movies like a champ. The version of Honeycomb that has been written for this tablet clocks the cpu in at 1.4 and the battery life is very acceptable.

Here's a link to the specs: http://www.viewsonic.com/gtablet/spec.htm

And it looks like there are a few on eBay right now for around $100!

MrBlah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MrBlah » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:40 pm

Don't get an iPoop.

Asus, Samsung, Sony all have tablets in your price range. I like Asus's Eee line of computing toys.

To be perfectly honest, the Asus EEE pad transformer is pretty much awesome. It comes with a dock sort of thing that is actually a keyboard, so it's an Android netbook tablet. It won't run you more than $500, that I do know, but it won't fit your $300 range. It runs from $350-450 about.
Eater of Potatoes, since 2008.

I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

arfy4
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by arfy4 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:01 pm

Asus eee pad transformer prime. Hardware wise the best tablet money can buy, though it is somewhat expensive, it has Android ICS 4.0.3 and a quad core tegra 3 processor. For an extra $150 you can get a keyboard docking station which also adds a few hours of battery life, a regular SD card slot, and a regular USB slot. It also looks nice.
If you're looking for something cheaper, galaxy tab 10.1 is a really nice tablet. Really light, dual core processor, pretty nice UI on it too. I've never really owned a tablet, so I can't really say what the best tablet would be, but as long as it's 10.1 inches and has Android honeycomb or ICS, it should be good, other than that one Sony one with the folding design, it was reviewed terribly by everyone.

MateoTheBold!
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by MateoTheBold! » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:49 am

Whatever you decide to do, don't forget to factor in weight. It doesn't sound like it would matter much, but hand/arm fatigue will set in as you are laying in bed holding it above your head.

The ASUS transformer looks really interesting. There are sometimes when I will put my tablet down and go for the laptop and vice versa. It would be nice to have something that can pull double duty for both. Any villuns have it?

Warpath Cup- FU-2011, FAIL 2012
Villeympics- BB 2011, USAHB 2012
Ville Cup- HK 2011, SNES 2012, :TIME: 2013, CTB 2014

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:50 am

I appreciate that people are still recommending tablets, but I did snag the Toshiba Thrive that popped up on Woot two months ago. No qualms with it, though I haven't found a practical application for it besides keeping myself up at night scouring TVtropes.

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:35 am

Zork Nemesis wrote:I appreciate that people are still recommending tablets, but I did snag the Toshiba Thrive that popped up on Woot two months ago. No qualms with it, though I haven't found a practical application for it besides keeping myself up at night scouring TVtropes.
and that has been my main argument with tablets since...forever. "wow i can do so much with it!" and you realize a laptop is much more convenient ...still
CG6505 CPT Nelson LCDR Wischmeier AST1 Skimin AMT2 Nichols-4SEP08
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09
CG6017 LT Krueger AMT1 Hoke AMT2 Banks-07JUL10
CG6535 LCDR Taylor LTjg Cameron ASTC Jorge AET3 Knight-29FEB12
WPB87340-2 BMC Terrell Horne-2Dec12
WMSL751 BM3 Obendorf-18DEC13

Clay Pigeon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Clay Pigeon » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:49 am

Cpt._Keyes wrote:
Zork Nemesis wrote:I appreciate that people are still recommending tablets, but I did snag the Toshiba Thrive that popped up on Woot two months ago. No qualms with it, though I haven't found a practical application for it besides keeping myself up at night scouring TVtropes.
and that has been my main argument with tablets since...forever. "wow i can do so much with it!" and you realize a laptop is much more convenient ...still
Tablets are a solution looking for a problem.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power tyrants and dictators cannot stand." - The prophet G'Kar

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:37 am

exactly clay! They didnt catch on when they were first released...and the only reason they are selling right now is because of the multitudes of iPhans buying them (and their counterparts from Droid)
CG6505 CPT Nelson LCDR Wischmeier AST1 Skimin AMT2 Nichols-4SEP08
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09
CG6017 LT Krueger AMT1 Hoke AMT2 Banks-07JUL10
CG6535 LCDR Taylor LTjg Cameron ASTC Jorge AET3 Knight-29FEB12
WPB87340-2 BMC Terrell Horne-2Dec12
WMSL751 BM3 Obendorf-18DEC13

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:41 pm

My idea was to use it for school textbooks (those Algebra textbooks get heavy) but I wasn't about to buy digital textbooks when I was already halfway through the semester.