Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Router question

Post by Dog » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:36 am

I recently changed my venerable old Linksys WRT45 router for a Cisco E1200.
However, the new one has a nasty habit of dropping wireless connections.

So I'm going to take it back and buy a gigabit router.
Any suggestions?

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Router question

Post by Boss Llama » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:08 am

I've got one of these:

NETGEAR WNDR4000-100NAS N750

It's strong and reliable (I can stream movies for hours in HD through a reinforced cement wall without even a moment's pause), and has some fairly high-end security and management controls included (far more than I understand how to use - definitely small business level at at least). You can also runs on multiple frequencies, and you can set up guest networks inside it separate from your normal one, with temporary logins and such. It has 4 wired gigabit ports as well, so you don't have to have two routers to run both wired and wireless.
-Boss Llama

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Snooze

Post by Flash » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:19 am

If you're into running custom firmwares (Tomato is what I run) the current favorite seems to be the Asus RT-N16. I actually just bought one myself but haven't set it up yet to replace my WRT54GL. I'm hoping to get to it this week.

Asus has a new model that was just released last week, the RT-N66U Dark Knight, which is a beast by the specs and has a 5 GHz radio as well. If you're happy with stock firmware the Asus RT-N56U is supposed to be a speed demon.

Linksys has several models out that get good reviews on the firmware websites, the E3000 and E4200 (only v1 supports custom firmware). These were the other models I considered but don't like the internal antennas.

Clay Pigeon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Clay Pigeon » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:18 pm

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=45265&vpn ... cture=ASUS

I'm very happy with what I use. I never actually attached the aerials because of how small my apartment is, and I still get good wireless reception anywhere in the apartment, and a little ways outside.

It can be loaded up with tomato or dd-wrt if you want as well. I'm fine with the stock firmware. Mine came loaded with 1.0.1.9 firmware. Apparently 1.9.x.x firmware is problematic, but there have been firmware updates up to 3.x.x.x I'm still using the original 1.0.1.9 with no issues.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power tyrants and dictators cannot stand." - The prophet G'Kar

El_Hefe
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by El_Hefe » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:21 pm

Alizée Fan wrote:I've got one of these:

NETGEAR WNDR4000-100NAS N750

It's strong and reliable (I can stream movies for hours in HD through a reinforced cement wall without even a moment's pause), and has some fairly high-end security and management controls included (far more than I understand how to use - definitely small business level at at least). You can also runs on multiple frequencies, and you can set up guest networks inside it separate from your normal one, with temporary logins and such. It has 4 wired gigabit ports as well, so you don't have to have two routers to run both wired and wireless.
^^^^ all that

NerevarineKing
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by NerevarineKing » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:25 pm

I have a Linksys E1000. I had some problems with it when I first got it, but they seemed to have resolved themselves.
Warpath Cup '12- [ICU] Inner Children Unleashed (Champions!)
Villympics '12- [USAHB] USA Handbrake
The Ville Cup '12- [SOLTAN] Solis Tanquam
Warpath Loves Dustbowl '13- \SOBAD/
The Ville Cup '14- GCI| Guild of Calamitous Intent