Anyone know a console command to reset the video in TF2?

A forum for computer hardware and software issues
One_Medic_Army
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Anyone know a console command to reset the video in TF2?

Post by One_Medic_Army » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:11 pm

I've been running on Win7 since I started playing TF2, so it's not just a vista thing.
ImageImage
VIEW CONTENT:

bluntspoon
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by bluntspoon » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:22 pm

This explains what is going on.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows ... 87368.aspx

It's the video driver. Windows is detecting something amiss, stopping the driver and restarting it.

Here is the relevant section.

The following registry keys are documented for testing purposes only. These registry keys should not be manipulated by any applications outside targeted testing or debugging.

The TDR-related registry keys are located under HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers.
TdrLevel: REG_DWORD. The initial level of recovery. The possible values are:
TdrLevelOff (0). – Detection disabled.
TdrLevelBugcheck (1) – Bug check on detected timeout, for example, no recovery.
TdrLevelRecoverVGA (2) – Recover to VGA (not implemented).
TdrLevelRecover(3) – Recover on timeout. This is the default value.

If you use the TdrLevelOff (0) it "MAY" solve your problem.

I had a similar issue that I fixed last year, but I can't remember exactly how I did it atm. Let me delve into the deep dark slow as molasses parts of my brain that hold all information older than last week and I will ponder some more.

Edit:

1. Are you running a browser in the background whilst playing? If so, try playing without and see if that helps.
2. Uninstall hotfix KB952287

The Spanish Inquisition
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by The Spanish Inquisition » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:29 pm

I get this "video driver has stopped working" sometimes when I'm using firefox. I think the error message is a result of a false positive 'hang' detection because really nothing it going on, just browsing, and no video, audio or errant javascript in the background. Sometimes I'm scrolling when it happens.

I also have a 460gtx.

In Skyrim, when I alt-tab, I have to do it twice to get back in and then click on the taskbar for the skyrim app. If you have your windows taskbar to autohide then maybe this is what is stopping you from fully entering the game. The symptoms are black screen, but sounds and activity is apparent until you click on the tab in the taskbar.
Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition!

bluntspoon
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by bluntspoon » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:57 pm

Disabling Aero has helped for some also.

Clay Pigeon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Clay Pigeon » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:53 am

I don't run aero. I use the windows classic theme.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power tyrants and dictators cannot stand." - The prophet G'Kar

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by black_and_blue » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:45 pm

bluntspoon wrote:If you use the TdrLevelOff (0) it "MAY" solve your problem.
Well, I tried this and the result is that when the problem happens it completely freezes my entire computer, and I have to hit reset, so I'm changing the setting back to what it was before.

It's possible that it might have reduced the frequency of the problem occurring, as it only happened twice in the last three days, but I'm not sure.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:47 pm

I'm bringing this topic back to life with a few things.

First up, this seems to be becoming more common with no reason as to why. I'm wondering if anyone's found anything out about this.

Second, it's clear that TF2 is the problem program. Everything i've read up on about this issue has pertained to nVidia cards and TF2 not agreeing with each other somewhere, but that somewhere hasn't been determined.

Third, this is aparently a much more documented issue than I thought, I found a 65-page SPUF thread dating back to last year that's still circulating. I've tried combing it for useful information but all I've seen is that nVidia believes they have it solved with their upcoming next-gen drivers.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=1774666

What I have found in that thread, there is a workaround, but it's probably not a desired option: running the game with DirectX 8 or 8.1 does not cause the crash. This can be done by adding -dxlevel 81 (for DX8.1) to the launch parameters, but from what I understand it makes the game underperform quite a bit.

Someone on the SPUF thread mentioned that they installed nVidia's beta drivers for version 301.24 a few days ago and hasn't reported any crashes since, so that may be a good sign that nVidia has the issue taken care of, even if Valve does not.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.