Super high quality sound
Built in mic
Best bang for buck

What I don't want:
Expensive crapy "For Gaming" headset
Light up crap
Built in noise distortion crap
Lots of buttons
(I find all the above stupid and very unnecessary)
Wireless

What I prefer:
Cord on right side
Above head (not behind, find this to last better)

Thanks for all the help guys, I have no idea where to even start when browsing for headsets.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: I want one badass headset

Post by Boss Llama » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:55 pm

Plantronics 355

I use those, and have for a couple years now. They are simple, straight forward, high quality, long lasting, and comfortable. They readily fit my over-sized head, and have a long enough wire to easily plug in to the back of my tower on the ground, while allowing me room to move around. The only thing on your list they don't match is right-side wire.

At $20 (plus free shipping if you buy in the next day or so), they're a great deal.
-Boss Llama

Checkm8
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Checkm8 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:02 pm

This subject has popped up before and there were some good recommendations here.

http://www.theville.org/forums/viewtopi ... et#p318778

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:47 pm

Checkm8 wrote:This subject has popped up before and there were some good recommendations here.

http://www.theville.org/forums/viewtopi ... et#p318778
The one headset I was interested in turned out to be crap.

Guys, I don't really have a budget for this headset and I know some of you know about high-dollar headsets.

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flash » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:17 pm

I'm using a Plantronics GameCom 777 and have no complaints.

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:45 pm

Flash wrote:I'm using a Plantronics GameCom 777 and have no complaints.
Are these surround sound headphones and USB phones worth it or are they just gimmicks? I'm seeing some headphones costing several hundred dollars...

I'm seeing prices vary so much on headsets, I don't even know where to start. I'm getting many people saying this and other people having the opposite opinion.

I'm mainly having 2 big issues, are the surroun sound gimics (5.1, 7.1) over stereo speakers? There are stereo headsets upwards of $300 yet 7.1 as low as $100.

Also, USB or jacks? I have a really high dollar motherboard with about 8 audio jacks in the back (no sound card). Right now I use two, with USB I will use none.
Last edited by BigBiker05 on Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bluntspoon
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by bluntspoon » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:50 pm

PC350

or

PC360

If you really want to go nuts.

Personally, I have moved to this

Superlux 681

combined with this

Zalman Mic

and am in GD heaven for a third the price.

Quick Edit:

Samson SR850

Slightly more expensive/better version of the Superlux if you like to spend money.

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flash » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:58 pm

BigBiker05 wrote:Are these surround sound headphones and USB phones worth it or are they just gimmicks? I'm seeing some headphones costing several hundred dollars...
I went with the 777 for a few reasons. Having a Mac Pro with no MIC jack (only a non-boosted Line In) I needed a USB headset. The 777 has a USB "dongle" so to speak which allows any set of 3.5mm headphones to be plugged in. This way, if my headset ever breaks or the cord gets run over one to many times by my chair, I can just buy a cheaper set of headsets and use the USB dongle I already have.

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:04 pm

Made an update to a previous post, but since there were a couple between:

I'm mainly having 2 big issues, are the surroun sound gimics (5.1, 7.1) over stereo speakers? There are stereo headsets upwards of $300 yet 7.1 as low as $100.
Also, USB or jacks? I have a really high dollar motherboard with about 8 audio jacks in the back (no sound card). Right now I use two, with USB I will use none.

bluntspoon
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by bluntspoon » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:32 pm

BigBiker05 wrote:Made an update to a previous post, but since there were a couple between:

I'm mainly having 2 big issues, are the surround sound gimics (5.1, 7.1) over stereo speakers? There are stereo headsets upwards of $300 yet 7.1 as low as $100.
1. On if surround is a gimic it will depend who you ask. I would argue the sound quality from 10 speakers jammed in a pair of headphones does not equal 2 higher quality ones at the same price point. Others may disagree.

2. What MB exactly do you have?

Checkm8
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Checkm8 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:44 pm

Flash wrote:
BigBiker05 wrote:Are these surround sound headphones and USB phones worth it or are they just gimmicks? I'm seeing some headphones costing several hundred dollars...
I went with the 777 for a few reasons. Having a Mac Pro with no MIC jack (only a non-boosted Line In) I needed a USB headset. The 777 has a USB "dongle" so to speak which allows any set of 3.5mm headphones to be plugged in. This way, if my headset ever breaks or the cord gets run over one to many times by my chair, I can just buy a cheaper set of headsets and use the USB dongle I already have.

I have the same headset. They are suitable and surround sound works well. The only awkward thing is that they are pretty big but.... they are very comfy.

The Spanish Inquisition
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by The Spanish Inquisition » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:31 pm

Surround sound in a headphone? I think that this functionality would be for people plugging their headphone into a home theater system because almost all audio driver software on pc's has come with some sort of positional audio conditioning like this for probably the last decade.

Basically what I've noticed over buying headphones for the last twenty years is that you do get what you pay for up to a point. Stuff that is clearly in the $300+ range is for either true audiophiles or people that would also pay $120 for a gold plated HDMI cable at best buy. But the $30 headphones are noticeably weak. The difference you will notice is if you play music through them as the highs will be hissy or the lows will be weak.

Invariably though, you will click on a flash page animation where the sound is jacked up to 300000000 decibels. This will degrade your headphones quickly no matter how much you paid for them. A few too many of those and your headphones are of the $30 variety whether you wish it or not. I have yet to find a good set of headphones with a built in mic or mic arm on it that also has good sound for music. I use a mic stand instead.

I'm using some sennheiser 212pros right now which I think I got for about $70 three years ago. I used to be a fan of Grado 60's.
Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition!

bluntspoon
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by bluntspoon » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:37 pm

The Spanish Inquisition wrote:I'm using some sennheiser 212pros right now which I think I got for about $70 three years ago. I used to be a fan of Grado 60's.
I have the 212's also. They are very nice headphones with a long, long cord that I gave to my 6 year old daughter. Why you ask? Because they are built for people with teeny tiny little heads. I felt like someone had placed a vice on my noggin and was twisting it for all they were worth.

Of course when I say I have a big fat head my wife heartily agrees. She also says it's filled with sawdust.

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:13 am

Mortis462
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mortis462 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:12 pm

I'm a little confused by your choice, as the first thing you list in the don't want section is "What I don't want:
Expensive crapy "For Gaming" headset" and you have landed on the MLG gaming headset of choice. To me this just screams gimmick, I did research these before I bought my new set, found mixed reviews and overall seemed that the bang for buck isn't there on them. If you really want sound quality your going to have get a stand alone headset and a separate mic, a lapel mic on the cord should work nicely.

The Plantronics sets mentioned above are nice headset, I had a 777 for 2 years before it broke, now I have Logitech G935's and I love
them, they are more comfortable for me than the Plantronics and they do sound darn good for music, tho no headset(with in the affordability of a normal man) will beat out my Paradigm home system. For quality headset I really don't think you can go wrong with Sennheiser's, which I almost bought (model pc350) instead of my Logitech's but got the G935's on sale so decision made.

Just my .02 cents, and if you do pick those I'll be interested to hear what you think. Either way good luck :D
Everyone has changed
Everything has changed
Everyone has changed
But me