Dirty Dan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

advice needed: case & video card sizes

Post by Dirty Dan » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:16 pm

I'm considering a case and video card upgrade for BF3, as my current case has poor cooling and wont fit the card I'm looking at. It's not clear to me whether the Storm Sniper will fit this beast or not because it just lists the outside dimensions of the case, but it says the card is 11.5 inches (and takes up three slots).

Secondary question: I do have 3 slots available, but I currently have a sound card in the 4th slot, which would be directly under the video card. Is that going to be ok? I'm a little concerned that it would be too close/touching.

I think a lot of my past performance issues have been due to cooling and I understand that particular card has great cooling performance, and some of the other GTX 570s seemed to have more heating and reliability issues.

Links
Case: http://goo.gl/tKuYf
Video Card: http://goo.gl/od51H

Appreciate the input, friends.

DD

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: advice needed: case & video card sizes

Post by Boss Llama » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:08 pm

As for the length, looks like you might be ok. I read through some of the feedback on the case, and found:

"My 11.2 inch 570 fits in, with room to spare"

Sounds like an 11.5 should make it still.

Comments on the GPU indicate that fitting something in the 4th position right next to the card is a tight squeeze, including narrow cards like NICs and Audio. It should work if nothing protrudes off the back, but it may be a squeeze.
-Boss Llama

BETTEH
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BETTEH » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:11 pm

Make sure you check the Heatsink size as well, I bought a Cooler master Hyper 212 for my brothers PC on good reviews and Clay's recommendation, keeps everything nice and cool but it's the size of a nuclear reactor and had to make case modifications slightly with a dremmel to make it all fit.

I was naive to only worry about the graphics card :( (which fit more than fine)
2004 DOD Ville Cup Champs - Hobo Strike Squad
Fanciful Unicorn! 2011 Warpath Cup + Villympics Champs.

Clay Pigeon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Clay Pigeon » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:18 pm

EVGA makes at least one model with a lifetime warranty if you register it w/in 90 days of purchase.

What resolution monitor are you using?

I'm making a build soon and trying to pick an appropriate graphics card for BF3 on 1920x1200 and am not sure if a 560ti will be enough or not.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power tyrants and dictators cannot stand." - The prophet G'Kar

Dirty Dan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dirty Dan » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:39 pm

Clay Pigeon wrote:EVGA makes at least one model with a lifetime warranty if you register it w/in 90 days of purchase.

I'm making a build soon and trying to pick an appropriate graphics card for BF3 on 1920x1200 and am not sure if a 560ti will be enough or not.
1920x1200

My brother in law has been playing the beta on a 560ti and it runs acceptably but he was on the fence about upgrading to make it smoother during high load moments, so that's partially why I landed on the 570.

edit: bro in law also runs that resolution

metacide
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by metacide » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:13 am

If you're upgrading the case, I might be willing to buy your old case off of you.

MrBlah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MrBlah » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:25 am

3 slot video cards are serious business!
Eater of Potatoes, since 2008.

I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Clay Pigeon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Clay Pigeon » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:28 am

Dirty Dan wrote:
Clay Pigeon wrote:EVGA makes at least one model with a lifetime warranty if you register it w/in 90 days of purchase.

1920x1200

My brother in law has been playing the beta on a 560ti and it runs acceptably but he was on the fence about upgrading to make it smoother during high load moments, so that's partially why I landed on the 570.

edit: bro in law also runs that resolution
Was this on metro or caspian? We're going to be running conquest maps I believe, and I think they are harder to render.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power tyrants and dictators cannot stand." - The prophet G'Kar

Soltan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Soltan » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:19 pm

While it's expensive, I really like my Silverstone Fortress FT02. I have two 580 GTX running in it nice and cool (plenty of room for the cards). I use the Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler (a tight fit if your GPU is in the first slot - I had to use electrical tape to insulate the fan clip that nearly touches it). I use a 30" 2560x1600 display.

Entropy
New Villun
New Villun

Games Played

Post by Entropy » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:24 pm

Soltan wrote:While it's expensive, I really like my Silverstone Fortress FT02. I have two 580 GTX running in it nice and cool (plenty of room for the cards). I use the Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler (a tight fit if your GPU is in the first slot - I had to use electrical tape to insulate the fan clip that nearly touches it). I use a 30" 2560x1600 display.
I really liked the features of the FT02 but couldn't swallow the price. I found the RV02-E which has all the great features for a significantly lower price. By far the best case below $200 bucks and has identical thermal performance as the Fortress FT02 (just different styling), just not as "fortressy", but I don't plan on playing soccer with my case.

All in all, I highly recommend the Silverstone Raven RV02-E (make sure you get the -E version as it is significantly improved over the non -E) and it will fit some beefy video cards.

If you ever want to go 3-way XFire (probably not since you're talking about a single NVidia card right now) it won't fit in the RV02-E (but will fit in the non -E).

PS - Oh, and I use a XigmaTek Dark Knight with a dual-fan configuration (almost as huge as the Noctua cooler listed above) and dual 560Ti's. I have about 3 inches of space between case fans on bottom of case and beginning of video card.