A forum for computer hardware and software issues
Katotsu
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

laptop crash

Post by Katotsu » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:59 am

My dad and I finally put my computer back together last night, after just over two weeks. The problem now is that it won't run for 20 mins without crashing. After so long it just goes black. Trying to start it up will result in it going black after the power light turns on. This process prevents it from charging as well. Its not overheating, its not running anything. The touchpad doesn't work, so I'm pretty sure we failed at reconnecting a cord somewhere inside. Does anyone have an idea as to why this is happening?

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: laptop crash

Post by Flash » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:40 pm

Katotsu wrote:The problem now is that it won't run for 20 mins without crashing. After so long it just goes black. Trying to start it up will result in it going black after the power light turns on.
This makes me think overheating right off the bat. You said it isn't, but what evidence do you have for that?

Katotsu
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Katotsu » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:04 pm

Flash wrote:
Katotsu wrote:The problem now is that it won't run for 20 mins without crashing. After so long it just goes black. Trying to start it up will result in it going black after the power light turns on.
This makes me think overheating right off the bat. You said it isn't, but what evidence do you have for that?
1. The thing was pried apart cause it overheated so much it melted the solder holding the charger port in the comp
1a. There was no heat at all, whether on the top or bottom of the laptop or on the charger port

2. Its inconsistent; sometimes it lasts almost 20 mins, other times it lasts less than a second

3. I know that there are loose cords inside, the touchpad doesn't work properly and we need to take it apart again anyways

Clay Pigeon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Clay Pigeon » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:10 pm

well then take it apart again. remove thermal paste. Re apply carefully.

Pay attention when you reassemble it.

Worst comes to worst, drill out some vents. All laptops have them, but your intakes may be too small. Drill out larger ones in the case when you've got it apart. Make sure to carefully remove any burrs or excess material before reassembling. If your laptop is pretty much dead already and outside of warranty it can't really hurt.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power tyrants and dictators cannot stand." - The prophet G'Kar

Katotsu
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Katotsu » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:15 pm

My dad's doing the work on it, and he doesn't really have an optimal workstation for laptops; his company deals with generators. I'll ask him about what he did and see what else we should do.

Edit: Is it possible that the lingering heat problems from before he fixed it have damaged the components so much that I can't do anything to help it?

Clay Pigeon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Clay Pigeon » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:25 pm

Katotsu wrote:My dad's doing the work on it, and he doesn't really have an optimal workstation for laptops; his company deals with generators. I'll ask him about what he did and see what else we should do.

Edit: Is it possible that the lingering heat problems from before he fixed it have damaged the components so much that I can't do anything to help it?
yes, but modern hardware clocks itself down and/or shuts itself off to mitigate the risk of that happening.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power tyrants and dictators cannot stand." - The prophet G'Kar

MrBlah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MrBlah » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:47 pm

just because you don't think it's overheating now, doesn't mean it isn't. I noticed electronics to finiky and do not always work the way you expect them too. Its a possibility that you damaged something unintentionally while reassembling.
Eater of Potatoes, since 2008.

I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

TACOBELL
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by TACOBELL » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:21 pm

Clay Pigeon wrote:well then take it apart again. remove thermal paste. Re apply carefully.

Pay attention when you reassemble it.

Worst comes to worst, drill out some vents. All laptops have them, but your intakes may be too small. Drill out larger ones in the case when you've got it apart. Make sure to carefully remove any burrs or excess material before reassembling. If your laptop is pretty much dead already and outside of warranty it can't really hurt.
Eat all the tacos!

Katotsu
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Katotsu » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:32 pm

We finally got to re-fixing my laptop. Cause of its shut downs? The fan didn't start up. Its strange to me that it didn't have any heat that I could feel though.