Shopping for a Laptop

A forum for computer hardware and software issues
MrShoopa
New Villun
New Villun

Games Played

Shopping for a Laptop

Post by MrShoopa » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:08 am

I was looking for a laptop that would run TF2 on high ish settings for around $1000. Does anyone have any suggestions. I can go up to about $1500 if I need to.

gator
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Shopping for a Laptop

Post by gator » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:02 am

Just TF2? That won't require a laptop anywhere near $1000 luckily :)

From the other laptop suggestion thread, this should work fine:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ASUS+-+Lapt ... Id=2881042

You should consider what other games (or other needs you have) for the laptop though.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:11 am

As Gator suggested, TF2 doesn't require a lot of power. If TF2 is the only thing you plan to do with it, a $500 desktop would be just as good, provided easier interface, and cost a lot less. Assuming you do need portable capabilities, what other things will you be doing with it? Business, pleasure, school? Other games?
-Boss Llama

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:32 pm

I got an HP Pavilion dv7 back in January for $1000 at Costco. It was a higher-end configuration for this particular machine, so you'd have to customize a bit to get something comparable on the webpage I linked to. You can likely get the same or a better setup right now for a lot less. It's a great all-purpose computer that does gaming remarkably well, but there are a few minor downsides to consider.

PROS:

-17" screen provides plenty of space and widescreen capabilities
-If you get the configs I did, it comes with a decent ATI gaming graphics card in addition to the default Intel card
-Numeric keypad is included on the keyboard
-Maxes out at 8GB memory - I was able to get it with this already installed
-Excellent sound system for a laptop - it even has a tiny subwoofer in the bottom that gives the bass most laptops lack :D
-Fingerprint scanner for easy login
-Sturdy screen hinge - I know the pain of having a laptop with an utter crap hinge, it ain't fun
-9-cell battery seems to be included by default - lasts up to 6 hours doing normal day-to-day stuff (obviously shorter when gaming :P)
-Read and writes CDs and DVDs, and reads Blu-Ray (This was a big part of what encouraged me to get this one)
-Ports for all sorts of stuff, including SD cards, HDMI out, monitor hookup (other machines I saw when shopping lacked one) and some stuff I don't know what it does. :P
-Although it can heat up to burning levels during ultra-resource-intensive gaming, it has yet to actually overheat for me
-Durable - I had a backpack give out and drop it on solid concrete, and all it has to show for it is an ugly dent in one corner
-Runs TF2 on max settings with room to spare. :mrgreen:

CONS:

-17" screen makes it a little more difficult to find a carrying case
-Function keys are weird - you have to hold Fn to make them work, otherwise they do the brightness and volume; seems like those functions should require the Fn key to be pressed...
-Touchpad is wonky - you'll want to get a mouse for sure
-The included ATI card only goes up to 4x MPAA anti-aliasing, which looks very nice, but my understanding is that it's possible to go a LOT higher on other cards
-Generates a lot of heat during high-power-requirement gaming - it manages it nicely though, cools back down to normal within 10 minutes after quitting
-Power button and CD eject button are small, but you get used to it pretty quick
-Only 3 USB ports (get a hub if you want more I guess)
-Keyboard might be difficult to work with some times (some keys might not register presses when typing fast), but that could just be my particular machine

Don't let the downsides scare you away; I've never regretted buying this machine. It runs every game I've thrown at it at more than acceptable levels. Some newer stuff gives it a little trouble during unusually intense moments (e.g. a big blast of particle effects on-screen), but overall gaming is a smooth experience.

MrBlah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MrBlah » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:37 pm

Will T. wrote: CONS:

-17" screen makes it a little more difficult to find a carrying case
-Function keys are weird - you have to hold Fn to make them work, otherwise they do the brightness and volume; seems like those functions should require the Fn key to be pressed...
-Touchpad is wonky - you'll want to get a mouse for sure
-The included ATI card only goes up to 4x MPAA anti-aliasing, which looks very nice, but my understanding is that it's possible to go a LOT higher on other cards
-Generates a lot of heat during high-power-requirement gaming - it manages it nicely though, cools back down to normal within 10 minutes after quitting
-Power button and CD eject button are small, but you get used to it pretty quick
-Only 3 USB ports (get a hub if you want more I guess)
-Keyboard might be difficult to work with some times (some keys might not register presses when typing fast), but that could just be my particular machine
These are all the cons to owning a laptop and not a desktop, ergo, not cons at all for a laptop.
Eater of Potatoes, since 2008.

I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.
― Neil deGrasse Tyson