Checkm8
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Powerpoint or Prezi

Post by Checkm8 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:00 pm

So I saw my second prezi presentation and have been wowed by them twice. I have a strong powerpoint background and thats my go to tool if needed. I signed up for a student account and I was going to look into the tutorials and example presentations with prezi. Then I thought to myself, 'hmm.. wonder if anyone has an opinion on this'. I know there are a lot of working villuns and many student villuns.

I was wondering. Is this coming up and being used by the younger generation? And for the older industry folks; is Prezi being used out there a fair bit yet?

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Powerpoint or Prezi

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:08 pm

I don't know which generation I count as, but in my experiences in both government and schools, PowerPoint remains almost totally dominant. I believe I can recall one Prezi presentation, and everybody loved it and thought it was cool, but it hasn't spread in my circles at all.

If you're wanting to create a file that can be shared with others, turned in for work or an assignment, or otherwise passed around, PowerPoint is pretty much a must. If you're creating a presentation that only you will be using and presenting, Prezi can definitely add a respectable flair to it.
-Boss Llama

frostdillicus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by frostdillicus » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:43 pm

Prezi is far more entertaining than powerpoint ever will be. That said, unfortunately powerpoint is pretty entrenched. If you are just doing student presentations though, Prezi is pretty awesome.

One_Medic_Army
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by One_Medic_Army » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:50 pm

frostdillicus wrote:Prezi is far more entertaining than powerpoint ever will be. That said, unfortunately powerpoint is pretty entrenched. If you are just doing student presentations though, Prezi is pretty awesome.
From a college student: If you're doing student presentations, make sure you're allowed to hook up your own laptop and have the right ports/adapters. Most of the time we end up having to use a provided laptop at my school.
ImageImage
VIEW CONTENT:

Checkm8
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Checkm8 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:59 pm

I am just really curious to see if anyone has used it yet! I'm gonna jump into it here sometime! Prezi that is..

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by M's » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:02 pm

UHG death by power point. I so wish that the Military would move away from that platform.
Mostly due to the fact that. Army presentations must be done with minimal "Bells and Whistles". But by golly I got lottsa nap time in during 2 and 3 hr presentations; on how to be kind and respectfull to the local's. Even if they where not kind to us.

bullet4o1
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by bullet4o1 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:23 pm

We are a Microsoft Shop. We have a Gold Partnership with them so we get free software :)
Intel I7 860 | Intel Board | 8GB DDR3 PC1600 | MSI HD5770 Juniper XT | 32 GB SSD | 4.25 TB's and counting!!

gator
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by gator » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:52 pm

Powerpoint, or Keynote with the slightly more prevalent use of Macs in the CS environment is pretty much what I see.

From the Prezi overview, it just sounds like the Ken Burns Effect applied to presentations. I don't really see what it does that couldn't be done by a traditional presentation program, but it does seem to make the workflow for generating a more idea-based presentation as opposed to the "death by bullets" presentation style more intuitive.

metacide
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by metacide » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:06 pm

I've never used Prezi either >.> I only even heard about it the other day actually.

That being said I am a minimalist when it comes to presentations; which means no gaudy effects, only 4 bullet points per screen and less than 5 words per bullet point. All that other stuff just gets in the way of the message.