My computer.

A forum for computer hardware and software issues
cpt.diesalot
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

My computer.

Post by cpt.diesalot » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:12 pm

Ok, my gaming computer is acting very weird. It won't boot up to windows.... I get a black and white screen with the choices of : Safe mode, Safe mode with networking, Safe mode with something else, Last known good settings, or boot windows normally.... but everytime I try to boot windows normally I get those bars on the bottom of the screen and they only fill to about 3 or 4... then it either just reboots and goes back to the same black and white screen, or it just sits there... Any Ideas??

If you have any suggestions post them here, or if you need a response from me send me a PM with your AOL/AIM screen name b/c my other computer isn't working well either....

Thanks,
C.D.
[img]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n85/jebtn008/sig.gif[/img]

[img]http://theville.hlstatsx.com/hlstats.php/sig/46407_random.png[/img]

Hamese
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: My computer.

Post by Hamese » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:08 pm

if you boot into windows safe mode, what happens?

mujo
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by mujo » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:46 am

Try booting into safe mode. Once you get in, get into your device driver settings (start | control panel | system | hardware | device manager) or device manager. See if any drivers have a '!' or red or yellow error or warning next them. Have you updated drivers recently? this may be the cause, however, thats only starting to look. Give it a try.
Adversities do not make a person weak, they reveal what strength he has. -Kierkegaard

[img]http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t51/l3eeon/mujosig.jpg[/img]

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:30 am

Try starting in last known good configuration. If that doesn't work on the first try, start up in safe-mode and look for the problem. It could be any number of things wrong. You can always try a system restore too, good luck :)

John Doe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by John Doe » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:45 am

Hmmmm, well if you can get into safemode you need to see whats causing your PC to not startup properly.

Could be a FUBAR driver, or it could also be caused by things loading during the startup that shouldnt....Such as viruses, Trojans, spyware or other crap.

If safemode starts fine then you may want to poke around in the registry to see whats loading at startup.

You may want to boot with your windows CD and try a repair.

If your not familiar with fixing a borked windows install you may want to enlist the help of someone who knows whats going on......

Oh, and try to backup anything you need before you get started.....

JD

LJ
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by LJ » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:02 pm

1. Unplug all peripherals. Printer, scanner, webcam ... then try logging in normally.
2. Try the last known good configuration. But, if it's a virus/spyware issue that won't solve the problem.
3. If you can get in safe mode or safe mode with networking then try doing a system restore to an earlier point and see if that resolves your problem.
4. If you can get in safe mode or safe mode with networkign then try a cleanboot. Click start, click run, msconfig and click ok. Then go to startup tab and disable all. Go to services tab. Put a checkmark in hide all microsoft then disable all.
5. If you really don't want to reformat then try an OS repair. Put your xp cd in drive and boot off the cd. And do a repair when it asks. But, os repair can often cause a lot of problems.
6. Reformat and reinstall xp.
7. Call microsoft 1-800-936-5700. You're entitled to 3 free tech support from them for all os related issues that isn't virus/spyware. Virus/Spyware tech support is free.