Medic types (or levels for you RPG fans)

Here you will find the queries of our honored Ville residents and the helpful responses.
Soltan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Medic types (or levels for you RPG fans)

Post by Soltan » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:21 pm

I've played medic for nearly 800 hours and thought I'd share some observations.

Basic Medic: able to successfully build up a charge and deploy it but nearly always die after the charge runs out (I assume most people can do this). May be able to get the occasional lucky kill with needles or saw.

Intermediate Medic: mastered basic medic and have learned to survive an ubercharge rush into a sea of enemies. The key for this is to pull out at the end (not always an option but definitely doable). Also it's a good idea to look around for people or things to kill as you're running away (maybe the person you ubered missed a dispenser or teleporter or you catch someone by surprise with your needles or saw). While their skill with needles and saws have improved they are not quite at the point of striking fear into the hearts of their enemies.

Battle Medic (needle master): mastered intermediate medic and have learned to use needles effectively (my preference is the blutsauger). This type of medic focuses on using the blutsauger for kills and destroying engie buildings at medium to long range. While they are still primarily focused on healing their team and charging their ubers they actively look for killing/destruction opportunities. A good medic of this type will have no more than about 20 deaths per hour.

Battle Medic (ubermensch): Prefers the ubersaw as their primary alternative to the medigun. This type of medic will look for every opportunity to get melee kills with their saw (often at great risk to themselves) and rarely uses the blutsauger. A good medic of this type will likely have more deaths per hour than the needle master (maybe 30) but will also have more ubercharges for their team resulting from faster charging with the ubersaw. A great way to get ubersaw killing opportunities is at the start of a round on Blue; push past the first line of defense with your uber and then come at them from behind (snipers and engies are often hanging around the back of the defense).

I'm sure I don't need to say what type of style I prefer.

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:26 pm

Battle Medic (ubermensch) = Archon
Archon's main target = me

*sigh*

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:32 pm

[quote="Soltan";p="160847"]
Battle Medic (needle master): mastered intermediate medic and have learned to use needles effectively (my preference is the blutsauger). This type of medic focuses on using the blutsauger for kills and destroying engie buildings at medium to long range. While they are still primarily focused on healing their team and charging their ubers they actively look for killing/destruction opportunities. A good medic of this type will have no more than about 20 deaths per hour.[/quote]*coughTorvencough*
I am the 1%!

Ian_Suffix
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Ian_Suffix » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:50 pm

As I use the Kritzkrieg more often than the regular Medigun, I like to lean more towards the Needle-type Battle Medic since I get charges with haste, anyway.

Stitch
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stitch » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:15 pm

[quote="Masakari";p="160851"]
[quote="Soltan";p="160847"]
Battle Medic (needle master): mastered intermediate medic and have learned to use needles effectively (my preference is the blutsauger). This type of medic focuses on using the blutsauger for kills and destroying engie buildings at medium to long range. While they are still primarily focused on healing their team and charging their ubers they actively look for killing/destruction opportunities. A good medic of this type will have no more than about 20 deaths per hour.[/quote]*coughTorvencough*
[/quote]

What are you talking about man. Torven doesn't heal. Unless theres nothing left for him to kill.
[img]http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/571/stitch2cw9.jpg[/img][img]http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/167/villeroll.png[/img]
[color=red][b]How hard is it to decide to be in a good mood... And then just be in a good mood?[/b][/color]
[color=darkred][b]I'm a Scoot... Scootin' around... Scoot scoot scoot scoot scoot scoot scoot scoot scoot scoot scoot scoot[/b][/color]

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:15 pm

Wait why is this in the FAQ section?

mr_s
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by mr_s » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:49 pm

[quote="Guardian";p="160894"]
Wait why is this in the FAQ section?
[/quote]

accidents happen.

I'm actually both.
I use needles and uber saw when i do lay medic.
Go with the kritzkrieg regularly.

Flobee
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: Medic types (or levels for you RPG fans)

Post by Flobee » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:33 pm

I'm a potent combination of both Needlemaster and Ubermensch, only I prefer the regular bonesaw over the ubersaw.

My bonesaw has a crit switch on it, and it seems to be permanently stuck in the ON position.
where doing this man.
where MAKING THIS HAPEN.

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:02 pm

I heal more then I kill when I play medic. I only use the ubersaw against spies. Typically I'll find a skilled heavy, soldier, demo or as a last resort pyro. If he dies I run, fire needles and escape to another patient although I'm pretty good with needles.

I know zee healing is not as rewarding as zee hurting but it's much funner for me to concentrate on dodging enemy fire while giving my patient a kritz.

If I wanna kill something I typically change classes.
Last edited by Guardian on Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ian_Suffix
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Ian_Suffix » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:04 pm

[quote="Guardian";p="160939"]If I wanna kill something I typically change classes.[/quote]

Everyone, take a look at this great man.

LadeeeDuke
USV Leadership
USV Leadership

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by LadeeeDuke » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:49 pm

I like to do all of the above, am I skilled at it? Prbly not! When I want to help the team, I am medic. When I want to have fun and we are weak in combat classes, I play pyro. All else, buwhahahahah!

shimmybot
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by shimmybot » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:09 am

[quote="LadeeeDuke";p="160944"]
I like to do all of the above, am I skilled at it? Prbly not! When I want to help the team, I am medic. When I want to have fun and we are weak in combat classes, I play pyro. All else, buwhahahahah!
[/quote]

really i thought you were the "Someone's back to aim my knife at" one >: (

:lol:

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Fri May 29, 2009 5:25 pm

I would say that I have been an intermediate medic for a long time, one that very occasionally steps into the realm of Ubersmensch.

In general I use the regular uber for offense and dire defense situations. And kritz when things are comfy on defense.

I like to concentrate on healing, but I will not hesitate to chase you down with the ubersaw. Medic is the most diverse and interesting class. If you have a good game as medic, it's so much more fun and rewarding. For instance as demo, I routinely winbomb SG nests and rack up lots of kills, and I don't even care... it's expected that a demo does that. But, when a competent medic has a good moment, everyone gives applause.

Soltan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Soltan » Fri May 29, 2009 5:36 pm

I've found that few people ever accuse me of stealing kills as a medic (although I'll admit that I'll jump in to help finish people off sometimes). I guess they think that medics so rarely kill anything that they shouldn't complain about it.

Nick Mame
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Nick Mame » Fri May 29, 2009 6:16 pm

I want to heal your teams!

It's almost impossible to gauge the skill of a medic unless it's one of your main classes. A lot of the time, the skilled medics who keep an entire team of players alive by themselves get more grief than praise since it's a real pain healing 10 combat classes alone. Meanwhile, the average medics who keep one player alive from their pocket get a lot of praise for doing little more than playing a game of follow the leader.

Where a third of the players out there will recognize a skilled combat class... I would say maybe a hundredth of them recognize a good medic. If you want to be acknowledged by (but not necessarily a credit to) your team, play sniper. If you get good, you'll be called a hacker so many times that most people will know you.
Interested in custom maps? Join the [url=http://steamcommunity.com/groups/tvii][u]TV2 Seeding Group[/u][/url]!