L4D 2

Join TheVille's best fun-loving zombie experts as they reduce the number of infected!
CastleDoctrine
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: L4D 2

Post by CastleDoctrine » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:30 pm

[quote="Cpt._Keyes";p="179764"]thats not even close to the same thing...planned obsolescence is making it to where you are told that you cannot (or made so you cannot) use the item which has become obsolete, and thus are made to get a new one...this is a different product based off another product...l4d2 does not obsolete l4d as both will be equally playable...now if they made it to where they released l4d2 and made it so you cannot play l4d content without l4d...then that would be an argument for planned obsolescence

now i dont care either way..i waited till the half price deal...and i still think l4d is not worth the 50 they asked...but i also love the game and it has amazing replayability...i prob will continue to play both...hell i played RA2, i play TFC dod1.3 etct etc etc those have sequels too...thats the same stuation as l4d2...not planned obsolescence[/quote]I respectfully beg to differ. If one cares to scroll down the wiki page I posted, you will find this sub-section:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_ob ... solescence

I think that the attraction to sharper and shinier graphics as well as fresh content (though in general, original ideas are few and far between) would put video games in this category.

Now I'm not making wild prognostications that Valve will shut down the Left 4 Dead server system the day after Left 4 Dead II is released. But, at the same time, when a business makes a newer product, it isn't hard to guess which will receive the priority in terms of support and marketing, the original or the sequel.
Last edited by CastleDoctrine on Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BETTEH
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BETTEH » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:51 am

As long as i can use shovels I'll buy it.
2004 DOD Ville Cup Champs - Hobo Strike Squad
Fanciful Unicorn! 2011 Warpath Cup + Villympics Champs.

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:25 pm

[quote="CastleDoctrine";p="180390"][quote="Cpt._Keyes";p="179764"]thats not even close to the same thing...planned obsolescence is making it to where you are told that you cannot (or made so you cannot) use the item which has become obsolete, and thus are made to get a new one...this is a different product based off another product...l4d2 does not obsolete l4d as both will be equally playable...now if they made it to where they released l4d2 and made it so you cannot play l4d content without l4d...then that would be an argument for planned obsolescence

now i dont care either way..i waited till the half price deal...and i still think l4d is not worth the 50 they asked...but i also love the game and it has amazing replayability...i prob will continue to play both...hell i played RA2, i play TFC dod1.3 etct etc etc those have sequels too...thats the same stuation as l4d2...not planned obsolescence[/quote]I respectfully beg to differ. If one cares to scroll down the wiki page I posted, you will find this sub-section:

[web height=350]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_ob ... solescence[/web]
I think that the attraction to sharper and shinier graphics as well as fresh content (though in general, original ideas are few and far between) would put video games in this category.

Now I'm not making wild prognostications that Valve will shut down the Left 4 Dead server system the day after Left 4 Dead II is released. But, at the same time, when a business makes a newer product, it isn't hard to guess which will receive the priority in terms of support and marketing, the original or the sequel.[/quote]

I read that section...and i still dont think that a sequel falls into "style obsolescence" as nothing about a sequel being released makes a game feel like its obsolete or unplayable...or that you have to drop the old game to get the other

but anyway im pretty sure this horse is dead...for both parties
CG6505 CPT Nelson LCDR Wischmeier AST1 Skimin AMT2 Nichols-4SEP08
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09
CG6017 LT Krueger AMT1 Hoke AMT2 Banks-07JUL10
CG6535 LCDR Taylor LTjg Cameron ASTC Jorge AET3 Knight-29FEB12
WPB87340-2 BMC Terrell Horne-2Dec12
WMSL751 BM3 Obendorf-18DEC13

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:49 pm

Just to chime in - that wikipedia entry devolves into pure bunk by the time it hits 'style obsolescence' (and I have a suspiscion it is before that). It's just someone's essay on their opinion of marketing, not any actual insight into how anyone actually runs those industries. Note it's pretty much citation-free.

It has nothing to do with video-game sequels. I can still play Half-Life Deathmatch online if I want to, via a service maintained by Valve. They don't really release patches much anymore but that's an end to a support cycle, not true obsolescence.

Obsolesence would be if I needed to run some kind of emulated WON server to play my HLDM online because they had planned from the beginning to shut down WON.net in order to require me to pay for Steam to play a new version of HL online.

If they shut down L4D from Steam support such that you can't play online anymore, then you can make an obsolescence argument. Otherwise, it's just complaining about having to pay for upgrades vs. getting them for free.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:32 pm

Well guys, thanks for all the input.

Remember we're ALL FRIENDS HERE!

right?! :D

Things look like things are getting a little heated....

we don't Stutter turning the hose on us. :shifty:

Rits
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Rits » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:55 am

Everyone hold hands and run through the sprinklers to cool off!

Anyways....I'll probably get this game....just not when it comes out right away. Let things cool down and attack when the steam sales start up. :P

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:40 pm

Getting back on the happy train for this game...TVG did an interview with Doug Lambardi and

http://www.totalvideogames.com/Left-4-D ... 14317.html

I think he did a great job of covering their decision to make a full sequel as opposed to just doing it as DLC. If you wander around the site and find the hands-on preview that the website had with the game, they make the excellent point that making sequels can take a lot less longer for this game because the A.I. director and lack of storyline saves so much dev time that making a full multiplayer game can take significantly less dev time than a 12-hour single player campaign. Plus, it sounds like the media has only seen a small fraction of the new content in the game, which is always good news. :)

And apparently, like L4D, preording gets you the demo to play before the game release. That should be fun.
I am the 1%!

shimmybot
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by shimmybot » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:32 pm

yeah no, after reading that i completely understand. i'm excited

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:47 am

http://kotaku.com/5319162/left-4-dead-2 ... -new-items

Three new gameplay clips, and word on another special zombie type.
I am the 1%!

And/Or
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by And/Or » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:29 am

Thanks for the link Masa, I also followed it to the July 20th GameSpy article over new things in L4D. Oh man this is getting more awesome everyday. These new items look pretty sweet, esp the Adrenaline. I can't wait to buy this game. Oh and Kotaku might be wrong about having the healthpacks and pills removed, you know since in the movies showing off the new stuff had the survivors with healthpacks and adrenaline. Quote from a user: "Most likely, you can choose to either pick up a medkit or an ammo pack. You can pick up pills or adrenaline. You're essentially going to fill your "large item" and "small item" slots the same way the melee weapon most likely replaces the pistol slot."

Archon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Archon » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:54 pm

to be shown off at pax:
The Jockey is a smaller zombie who jumps on the backs of Survivors and tears them apart from behind. Not only that, but he gets to control the movements of the Survivor while he's doing it, meaning that Versus Mode just got a whole lot crazier. Sounds like a helpful little guy who'll help guide the Survivors into ambushes and other desirable locations.
USER, n.: The word computer professionals use when they mean 'idiot.'

Zwiffle
Villun
Villun

Post by Zwiffle » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:07 pm

Woah where did you find this info from? Is the Jockey a new boss zombie or one of those pseudo-boss zombies ?

Archon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Archon » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:25 pm

a new special infected. destructoid originally posted it, hl2.net reposted it after getting confirmation from doug lombardi

a l4d2 tester posted some more info here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... p?t=954346

YevGenie
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by YevGenie » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:44 pm

I'm buying it...you should too so we can play again....I miss it :-p Hard to get a group of villuns together nowadays for some zombie killin :-p

Archon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Archon » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:15 pm

actually we played a versus game just the other night, and tvb outfailed us again