Thorn
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Guide Contest idea

Post by Thorn » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:38 am

Hey it just dawned on me there are a ton of people on these forums that would love to impart some of their wisdom and experience in the game to others in the form of written guides, I have seen a bunch of these starting to pop up and it has sparked some really interesting discussions. The problem is that much of this really good information is either buried in countless pages of posts, or they turn into walls of text that are just completely daunting for a non-hardcore gamer to be interested in actually reading.

First of all, I think this sub-forum is a fantastic idea, but I think we may want to start to think about how best to fill it with some content, some top notch stuff you know? Clean and well presented. I would just hate to see this turn into just another version of the hints and tips thread where there are just pages and pages of threads rather than pages and pages of posts you have to dig through. Not only that, sometimes its hard to discern what information is just flat out wrong, what information isn't that good, and what information is really solid. I almost feel that in order to make those kinds of judgment calls you already have to be well versed in the game and already have a good understanding of all the concepts you would find in the hints and tips forums to begin with.

So I think some good goals might be to make resources that are :
1) easily accessible
2) credible
3) informative
4) well written
5) well presented

Now to get to the subject of this post... I think a "contest" would be a really fun and involved way to accomplish all these. It could be an official type thing, and we can award the best guide a sticky spot in this sub-forum. This will make it easily accessible accomplishing the first goal. The winner would also be decided on a community poll of villuns which can address criteria such as how informative, well written, and well presented the guide is. And the fact that this would be a community thing would be even better. It would motivate people to make some really impressive guides and they could be awarded with a sticky post on this forum for their hard work.

Thorn
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Thorn » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:16 pm

Do I hear crickets? lol maybe not such a good idea? if Its a matter of hosting it I don't mind doing the work, I just don't know if it could ever be official then

Infusions
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Infusions » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:30 pm

Hosting or LAZINESS? hurrr.

I would make a Spy Guide but what do I know? I know nothing. Everything has already been said about the Spy and any tips I try to give will just sound like a broken record of uselessness. In fact, this entire post is useless.

I'm surprised I haven't been deleted off the internet by now.
[url=http://lolschach.blogspot.com/][img]http://g.imagehost.org/0572/LOL_6.png[/img][/url]

jim beam
TVR Leadership
TVR Leadership

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by jim beam » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:24 pm

Well Thorn the problem is that there is nothing that can top my guide. So no one wants to bother with it since they already know that they have lost and cant even come close to touching my awsomely awsome guide to being total awsomeness!!!!
Founder and Overlord of the IBG nation

Thorn
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Guide Contest idea

Post by Thorn » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:10 pm

lol true true. I know I definitely would not want to enter any guide competition against you Jim, I would be the laughing stock of the ville, not that I am claiming that isn't true already! haha

I was just trying to think of a good way to filter out the really good stuff and organize it so we have 1 really awesome guide for each class, and I was thinking we could also start thinking about map guides too.

And as for sounding like a broken record, that isn't a problem, the guides don't have to be groundbreaking or anything, they would just need to cover all the stuff that has already been said, in a really organized and coherent fashion. I guess I am kind of thinking of the guides that have already been made as drafts.

Grapedrink
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Grapedrink » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:32 pm

I'm pretty sure this won't work out since most of us did the guides in order to help newbies out who made egregious errors all the time, not for a contest
[img]http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g190/johnnyalpha/3b-z.jpg[/img]
[img]http://boff.clanservers.com/stuff/moobs_grapedrink.gif[/img]

Yahoo!!
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Yahoo!! » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:56 pm

Nah, I wrote mine specifically to help people with spy. I am not interested in a competition with others. I will be honest, but some of the videos done the web are well done and are much better at mine and give visual representations.

Spy is the most technical class that requires a lot of finesse. It just maddening when I see somebody say the spy sucks just because they seem to think they can confront a soldier head on and lose.

Infusions
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Infusions » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:46 pm

[quote="Yahoo!!";p="120835"]Spy is the most technical class that requires a lot of finesse. It just maddening when I see somebody say the spy sucks just because they seem to think they can confront a soldier head on and lose.
[/quote]

YOU MEAN YOU CAN'T?

NO WONDER I KEEP DYING!
[url=http://lolschach.blogspot.com/][img]http://g.imagehost.org/0572/LOL_6.png[/img][/url]

Cpt. Winky
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt. Winky » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:46 pm

[quote="Grapedrink";p="120833"]I'm pretty sure this won't work out since most of us did the guides in order to help newbies out who made egregious errors all the time, not for a contest[/quote]

"egregious" nice SAT word. i should really make a sniper's guide, a "What not to do" kind of guide

:icon_heart: RIP TW 1954 - 2008

Thorn
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Thorn » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:23 am

maybe the ville isn't the best place for contest type things either. I was just trying to think of a way to get some stickies on these bad boys so we have a nice list at the top of the forum for every class.