CP_Big Ugly

A forum dedicated to chat about maps and the Source SDK for any Mod including tips and tutorials.
So Uncivilized
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by So Uncivilized » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:36 pm

Yes, I will be on tonight specifically in anticipation of this, then. :)

I have not been playing much because I am trying to learn myself various other things.

SU

shimmybot
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by shimmybot » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:52 pm

[quote="So Uncivilized";p="105885"]
Yes, I will be on tonight specifically in anticipation of this, then. :)

I have not been playing much because I am trying to learn myself various other things.

SU
[/quote]

I also will be on and looking for the map :)

!B a T m A n!
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by !B a T m A n! » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:54 pm

jeepers! that looks good !
cant wait to play it

shimmybot
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by shimmybot » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:28 am

I forgot to look. Did anyone end up playing the map?

If so, how was?

So Uncivilized
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by So Uncivilized » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:35 am

I wasn't online, really, tonight. I watched the servers from the laptop, but it has been important to spend time with my wife the last few days...

It will be around soon enough ;)

SU

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: CP_Big Ugly

Post by TheCarpe » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

I would have looked for it tonight, but I didn't get home till close to 11, and once I did, my playing was, how you say, less than impressive.

I'll look for it tomorrow when I can (hopefully) hit the broad side of a barn again :lol:
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

Mad-Hammer
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mad-Hammer » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:15 am

Sorry folks, storm knocked out my internet and it never was uploaded. In the meantime though, I added a couple things, here, there, so, if the cable company cooperates with me, I'll upload this evening.
Image[/center]

shimmybot
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by shimmybot » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:59 pm

sounds good :D

Mad-Hammer
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mad-Hammer » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:18 pm

Okay, took me a few days, but it's ready as far as betas go.

If you have an interest and want to take a look at The Big Ugly, here ya go,

http://www.thevilleregulars.org/~web2_h ... gly_b1.bsp

Just save it to your TF2 maps folder. If I packed it right, all the elements should be in the .bsp.

Take a look at it, give me your thoughts, suggestions, harsh criticisms............
Image[/center]

mr_s
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by mr_s » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:25 pm

well done mate.

this map looks amazingly awesome.

will give it a try whenever i can.

Nick Mame
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Nick Mame » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:25 pm

I am reminded of badlands and gravel pit, although I saw a bit of dustbowl here and there as well. It will be curious to see how well the final and middle points will play out when they were designed for another map. I do enjoy how the window of BLU's final point was rotated to face the water, though. I sense a lot of snipers perched there in the near future.

There are too many full health and full ammo packs in the map. Their placement is also weird. It looks like you tried to place them on side paths to discourage using them during the middle of combat. But that sort of placement will lead people to abandon the point (more often than they already do) to run across the open field to that out-of-the-way corner for their health boost.

I recommend moving the full packs into the more focal points of the map. Hectic areas like the point itself where people will make a mad dash to beat their opponents and staging areas where an offense might park its medic. I'd also suggest using more medium and light pickups. Sometimes you only want a tiny health kit to bring you back to full.

The map is too flat and spacious. There are no opportunities to rocket jump in a productive way. Snipers have free reign with little cover at each point itself to provide flanking potential. Heavies are in a huge field with enemies surrounding them on all sides, lacking a wall to hide themselves against. On a whole, it heavily favors scouts and snipers.

A potential solution is to move some of the rock formations off of the map boundaries and into the map itself. Take a badlands example. Got a huge open area? Park a weird looking rock in the middle of it. Dustbowl did that, too, on the second stage. You can create artificial choke points with giant rocks and make the map feel more strategic.

As for a personal complaint, I dislike maps with those destructible pathways. It encourages two or three people to go out of their way to destroy a wall when their team desperately needs their help elsewhere. It leads to warpath2 syndrome where engineers build entire bases behind the wall, destroy it, and then utterly annihilate anything on the other side (as the poor respawnees try to jump down to get to the front). If a certain path is more advantageous than another, a one-time destructible wall will not lesson its advantages. It will just distract a team until they open it and then become the path of choice.

Those aside, I'll try to give some more concrete comments if I ever get a chance to play it on a server. Congratulations on a working release, though: I can't even work on a single project for more than a day!

Mad-Hammer
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mad-Hammer » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:29 am

Well, I have six more screen shots, I promise I won't post anymore.

[fullalbumimg]461[/fullalbumimg]

[fullalbumimg]462[/fullalbumimg]

[fullalbumimg]463[/fullalbumimg]

[fullalbumimg]464[/fullalbumimg]

[fullalbumimg]465[/fullalbumimg]

Finally, for those that wanted to know if there's a map, here ya go. You will find one in every spawn.

[fullalbumimg]466[/fullalbumimg]
Image[/center]