[WIP]avantiville

A forum dedicated to chat about maps and the Source SDK for any Mod including tips and tutorials.
l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Mon May 25, 2009 9:53 pm

I have an announcement!

tf2maps.net is going to use my map as their push-ctf example!

Yay!

Their next contest is going to be a push-ctf map contest. Looks like I'm way ahead of everyone! :cool:

sgt stutter
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: [WIP]avantiville

Post by sgt stutter » Mon May 25, 2009 9:56 pm

Nice :)

Congrats l3 It's a great looking map.
RIP-Trigger
RIP-Blue
RIP-Stevo

shimmybot
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by shimmybot » Mon May 25, 2009 10:02 pm

[quote="sgt stutter";p="174939"]
Nice :)

Congrats l3 It's a great looking map.
[/quote]

Atreus
Villun
Villun
Loading…

Post by Atreus » Mon May 25, 2009 10:17 pm

[quote="l3eeron";p="174937"]I have an announcement!

tf2maps.net is going to use my map as their push-ctf example!

Yay!

Their next contest is going to be a push-ctf map contest. Looks like I'm way ahead of everyone! :cool:[/quote]Two words: flip yeah.

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Mon May 25, 2009 11:10 pm

Nicely done B. This map is turning out nicely.

Just 2 things.

1. Change Blue spawns PLEASE.

This is the thing that's bugging me the most, blue shouldn't spawn RIGHT beside the point they just capped. It leads to all kinds of problems, most notably red sentries all of the sudden spawn camping blue when they were once defending the point. Just have blue spawn at the point BEHIND the last one they capped and change their spawn times to compensate.

2. Make some Noob helping signs.

Every newcomer to this map hates it initially to initial confusion. It would be nice there were big flashing signs pointing which direction you should go with the intel (you have no idea how many times people have wandered to point 3 when we need point 2 >.<.]

Also I doubt you'll lose that push ctf map contest. Your map is too well done to fail :D.

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stevo » Tue May 26, 2009 1:02 pm

[quote="Guardian";p="174954"]2. Make some Noob helping signs.

Every newcomer to this map hates it initially to initial confusion. It would be nice there were big flashing signs pointing which direction you should go with the intel (you have no idea how many times people have wandered to point 3 when we need point 2 >.<.[/quote]
I always see people walk around the giant arrow pointing left and go right...

shimmybot
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by shimmybot » Tue May 26, 2009 1:04 pm

:lol:

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Tue May 26, 2009 2:13 pm

[quote="Stevo";p="175044"][quote="Guardian";p="174954"]2. Make some Noob helping signs.

Every newcomer to this map hates it initially to initial confusion. It would be nice there were big flashing signs pointing which direction you should go with the intel (you have no idea how many times people have wandered to point 3 when we need point 2 >.<.[/quote]
I always see people walk around the giant arrow pointing left and go right...[/quote]

That's why we need FLASHING signs.

Also are you talking about this contest |3? http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?p=69699

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Tue May 26, 2009 2:36 pm

Does it have an instruction splash yet? I think that will help the newcomer confusion as would a map/instruction picture in the initial spawns for each team.

|3's already said he's thinking about the spawning issue.

Can't wait to see the final product, hope you win going away, |3!
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Tue May 26, 2009 4:23 pm

[quote="Guardian";p="175069"]
Also are you talking about this contest |3? http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?p=69699
[/quote]

Ya, I'm assuming so. And, to be honest. I have no idea what they're going to actually use my map for. All Immortal-D said was "We want to use your map as push-ctf example." and that was all I needed to hear. I'm guessing the only reason why they picked my map is because no one else at tf2maps.net has a made a full size attack/defend ctf map. Sac's avanti_b1 is good, but he's not around tf2maps.net much, and as far as I know, he doesn't share his work.

So, I'm thinking avantiville got picked by default, being the least of all the evils! :lol:

Also kidding about winning the contest, If I enter it, I would enter something new.

[quote="Plinko";p="175073"]
Does it have an instruction splash yet?
[/quote]

ya, it has a mission objectives/welcome screen (the chalkboard with pictures) but it needs some major refining. Right now, the text is more informative than the images, which means I'm doing it wrong.

My next play changes are going to be:

- Figure out a way for red to block cap, like a normal cp (pretty sure I have a solution, it's kinda hacky and I don't trust it yet)

- Change Red Spawn room pattern from 1,1,3,4 to 1,1,4,4

- ADD MOAR SIGNS!

- New mission objectives screen

- Other HUD elements like flag return counter, and flag indicator

- Revamp central CP3 building to be more fps friendly (the one with the broken window)

The spawn room changes are going to add more travel time, but hey! What are level 3 TPs for! It needs to be broken up some, the latter half of the map (red spawning AT cp3 while it's active) is all wrong....

Red blocking the cap is must I feel. There's nothing worse than having 3 levels on CP4 and have a scout follow another bonked scout or an uber or something and cap it like nothing. Red should have a chance to have a body on the point in that scenario. It's a violation of the game. Valve always talks about keeping the player feeling like he at least had a chance, that when the player thinks "I could have killed him if I ____" that's when things are working. I see people sneaking through a full defense and capping, and RED (including me) feels cheated out of your chance to defend. Effectively ruining the fun factor at the most important moment of the game!

How do you guys feel about the spawn wave timers?

And the flag return timer?

Do they need a tweak in this build?

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Tue May 26, 2009 5:14 pm

What about Blue's spawns......

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Tue May 26, 2009 6:11 pm

Some part of me thinks the flag should countdown faster, but I'd like to give it another runthrough first.

Also, I agree the BLU spawns are a much more serious issue than the RED spawns. Off the top of my head, I'd to see BLU spawn in the intial for points 1 and 2, then spawn out of RED's initial spawn for the remainder of the match?
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Tue May 26, 2009 6:36 pm

forgot to add about BLU spawns Image

BLU SPAWN 1,1,2,3

My advancing spawn rooms are little too robust as is.

This will take care of the BLU spawning into a hornet's nest of enemies right after a cap.

Will also hopefully lessen confusion by only having two places to pick up intel.

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Thu May 28, 2009 6:46 pm

Some major things accomplished:

- Have a working built in flag return timer that counts down the last 15 seconds before flag returns (this was a pain!)

- Spawn room patterns changed and tested out OK

- Working cap block system, Red can now stand on the point and block blu from capping the intel. The cap zone must be clear of red in order for blu to cap.

...more to come.

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Thu May 28, 2009 7:22 pm

[quote="l3eeron";p="175620"]Some major things accomplished:

- Have a working built in flag return timer that counts down the last 15 seconds before flag returns (this was a pain!)

- Spawn room patterns changed and tested out OK

- Working cap block system, Red can now stand on the point and block blu from capping the intel. The cap zone must be clear of red in order for blu to cap.

...more to come.[/quote]

:)