Forum rules
Join the Left4DoD Steam Group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/left4dod
Aardvark Ratnick
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Re: Dealing with team-wounding

Post by Aardvark Ratnick » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:09 pm

What about simply Vote Kicking? I am sure that there are enough of us, who are responsible, that we could kick the TW off the server and not abuse the Vote Kick. An admin can review the logs to decide if the person needs further time off. Some drawbacks are, It is more work on admins, we as a community would be on the honor system not to abuse the VK, code can not deal with the grey areas that will come up, code changes will likely introduce more bugs and lastly it is more work for Dog. I would much rather Dog spent his time enhancing the game and squashing bugs than trying to program asshatery out of the game.

v.o.c
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by v.o.c » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:35 pm

i will add that my steam is on for 99% of the time, you can always send me any details through chat ie name, steam id, and as much about the problem as possible, if im not around at the time i will look into it when i am. I know this does not stop the problem at the time but it can mean it wont happen again. There is also the help desk (<----------------- links over there) where all the admins can check, and if you post while the problem player is still on, you may get an admin to come in. Also look at the list of admins most will come on and sort a problem if you give them a shout.
Hey you Would'nt you like to be a vicious orange carrot too?

STEAM a Bi Product of tea.

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:48 pm

Unfortunately, we do not always have supporters and admins on.

As for a public votekick, that never works....period.
People start messing around with it. When I used to run votekick, we had people votekicking human Zombies because they were getting too hard to play against. Or starting a votekick for no reason whatsoever. So no public votekicks at all.

<eVa> + Sarge +
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by <eVa> + Sarge + » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:20 am

Dog wrote:OK. Did some serious thinking.

This is the way I'll program it:

1. Continued team-wounding/team-killing and instead of being banned, your team damage is zero, so you cannot do any damage to your team at all.
2. Your weapons then do only quarter-damage to the enemy - this is a deterrent.
3. Your name gets added to a database of shame, from which there is no removal.

I think this would work because:
1. FF is still on for everyone else
2. The dorks that like to troll/grief can't harm their own team and end up being ineffective against the other team

The formula for deciding TW/TK would need to be lowered at bit.
This sounds great Dog. Does the quarter-damage to enemies stay perm? I would still want this chowderhead to be able to save me from the Zombie Goon Squad :P
How about take away his ability to buy anything from the Store instead.

Maybe if someone makes the list they have an auto-gag/mute put on them too. (probably the next route for the griefer is to spam chat/mic)

My $ 0.02

Thanks as always Dog!

Rico[CotC]
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Rico[CotC] » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:05 pm

Dog wrote:OK. Did some serious thinking.

This is the way I'll program it:

1. Continued team-wounding/team-killing and instead of being banned, your team damage is zero, so you cannot do any damage to your team at all.
2. Your weapons then do only quarter-damage to the enemy - this is a deterrent.
3. Your name gets added to a database of shame, from which there is no removal.

I think this would work because:
1. FF is still on for everyone else
2. The dorks that like to troll/grief can't harm their own team and end up being ineffective against the other team

The formula for deciding TW/TK would need to be lowered at bit.
Excellent plan.

I like FF on. It makes me much more disciplined.

TWing has not been too much of a problem lately. Good human zombies have been, however. :) Personally, I love a challenge, but if people are dropping off the servers, then it's no good to have the human zombie so powerful.

I'd like to put in a plug for the Skeleton being immune to Shield/fire and getting 2x damage from melee, but only 0.25 damage from explosion/projectiles. Maybe interest in humans playing the Skeleton would pick up?

the creeper
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by the creeper » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:45 am

Here's the thing, There's only two servers now, and COOP you can't be a human zombie, on the other one you have to cap out once so someone can join the zombie team and even then you might get booted back to the allied team. The zombies get harder and faster, so it makes capping out almost impossible on certain maps. Not so sure how it goes in the evening hours, but we rarely have a zombie player anymore. I too love having a good zombie player as it changes the whole game. I miss when we had 3 servers and on one FF was off for those that don't want it. But not having enough people, 3 servers would be too much. DOG i don't know how you do it, it must be horrible trying to find the right balance.
Creeper

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:58 am

The zombies only get harder (not faster - there is no code to do this) when there are NO human zombies.
But capping flags resets their difficulty. It was only introduced to prevent silly campers!

I think one of the important things in this game is working and playing as a team. Unfortunately, this doesn't always happen.

Aardvark Ratnick
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Post by Aardvark Ratnick » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:28 pm

Maybe it is a perception thing but after capping out 4 or 5 times, heck just twice, they appear to be much faster. They definitely are harder. Especially the Witch and the Skeleton. Skeleton must teleport like the Infected one. He has appeared behind me a number of times when literally a second before the area was clear.

the creeper
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by the creeper » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:17 am

I thought maybe it was just me thinking they were faster, it does seem like they are. How many times can that witch teleport in 3 seconds..sheese. I like the fact that it does get harder after capping out, and actually haven't had too much problems with getting help capping flags. Sometimes you get overrun but that's what makes it more of a challenge.
Creeper

Aardvark Ratnick
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Post by Aardvark Ratnick » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:01 pm

I am beginning to suspect that that Witch has it out for me. I have seen her shift her focus to me while whacking on another individual and teleport behind to whack me!

Moonshine
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Moonshine » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:42 pm

I am beginning to suspect that that Witch has it out for me. I have seen her shift her focus to me while whacking on another individual and teleport behind to whack me!
Well, you are indeed a handsome and delicious fellow. What zombie wouldn't shift their focus for such a treat ;]

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:36 pm

Where's the 'Like' button when you need it
:D

George
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by George » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:56 pm

I think Dog hid the like button! Did you forget where you hid it Dog?

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:18 pm

Sooooo, I think I have made a change that is a little too excessive!

It has already banned 16 people... :oops:
I lowered the TW limit from 12 to 8. It seems to have affected the MG players badly!

On the other hand, it has caught a bunch of cretins TWing.

So one more change to make. To differentiate between real players accidentally TWing and the useless TWers, every kill made lowers the TW count. In this way, an MG player can be useful!