Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: New Quickplay Rules - Reserved Slot and Stuff

Post by Will T. » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:56 pm

Plinko wrote:If I understand it correctly, valve is saying servers who don't play by the QP rules will be de-listed from the public server browser, not just removed from QP eligibility.
That would remove 99.95% of servers from the public browser ... basically any of them except for Valve's own servers and those of people who simply don't know how to change the configs.

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by black_and_blue » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:20 pm

Will T. wrote:That would remove 99.95% of servers from the public browser ... basically any of them except for Valve's own servers and those of people who simply don't know how to change the configs.
Unlikely. Since changing the config using the built in commands automatically adds the appropriate tags, really the only way to change the config without adding tags is to use plugins. And I'm guessing that those who know how to install a plugin probably also know how to make sure the tags are correct.

Although there may be a good number who are simply unaware of the new rules.

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Snooze

Post by Flash » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:19 pm

Will T. wrote:
Plinko wrote:If I understand it correctly, valve is saying servers who don't play by the QP rules will be de-listed from the public server browser, not just removed from QP eligibility.
That would remove 99.95% of servers from the public browser ... basically any of them except for Valve's own servers and those of people who simply don't know how to change the configs.
I believe Plinko is saying that if a server still registers for QuickPlay, but doesn't follow the rules and tries to sneak in, they will be delisted as a punishment.

They won't be delisted simply because they use mods that make them ineligible for QP to start with.

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:53 pm

Flash wrote:
Will T. wrote:
I believe Plinko is saying that if a server still registers for QuickPlay, but doesn't follow the rules and tries to sneak in, they will be delisted as a punishment.

They won't be delisted simply because they use mods that make them ineligible for QP to start with.
This.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

cam
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by cam » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:35 am

The Domer wrote:I do.
Yeah, you made that pretty obvious last time I had you over. You were just lucky that I'm in to that sort of thing.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:44 am

As Flash and Plinko clarified, Valve has the ability to blacklist servers completely. We don't want to deliberately provoke their ire and get the community wiped off the listings, regardless of how ill-conceived the rules in question are.
-Boss Llama

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:55 am

De-listing isn't the end of the world, there are plenty of private servers and communities, but it becomes all but impossible to grow. Also, we could always just put up a new server with a new IP and get back on the list. It would be a blow, though. I don't think it could possibly be worth it.

Also, Im quite sure you can easily set the wrong flags for your server vs. the actual settings.

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by The Domer » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:20 am

I just don't understand why they suddenly got a big stick up their butts in the first place.

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:36 am

I mostly understand, Valve wants people to use QP as an 'easy button' to turn on TF2 and play. There were a lot of servers out there that were making it a really crappy experience if you ended up there via QP, forced ads, mods giving certain players in-game Sourcemod powers like noclip, servers full of bots or with tags incorrect so you were shoved in an instant respawn all crits server or something without knowing it until you got there.

Having that be your user experience is pretty lousy and reflects badly on Valve and TF2 if they don't take steps to manage it.

I disagree on a couple of their choices of the specific limits for QP eligibility, class limits being one. I still haven't heard an answer on reserved slots to judge. But disabling a lot of that stuff was necessary for them to do.

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by black_and_blue » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:50 pm

Plinko wrote:I still haven't heard an answer on reserved slots to judge.
There needs to be some way for servers to pay for themselves. I could see some kind of limitations on this stuff, but with the rules as I see them now, I can't see any way for a community of any decent size being able to sustain a quickplay server, except by possibly having one server subsidize another (ie. reserved slots on TV6 but not TV7).

I dunno, maybe a reworking of reserved slots by decreasing the max player count to 22 but allowing players with a reserved slot to bring the player count over the limit by up to 2 (24/22 players) without actually kicking a player? Would that violate quickplay rules?