A forum dedicated to Team Fortress 2
Joel
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

The Vanilla Challenge

Post by Joel » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:13 pm

All right, I was talking about this at TV6 earlier, and I figure, Why not make a thread about this?

So I present to you the Vanilla Challenge:

Stock weapons only.
No cosmetics.

Strange versions of the stock weapons are allowed, but no Festive, Botkiller, or Australium variants. Basically, you play TF2 for one week—no less—like this.

The point of this challenge is essentially . . . well, there really isn't a lot of point to it other than just for the heck of it and to prove to a number of players that think otherwise that you can, in fact, still play and enjoy TF2 with just the stock weapons and lack of cosmetics.

Knowing
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: The Vanilla Challenge

Post by Knowing » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:24 pm

I do this with most classes already :P
The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
- Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:33 pm

I actually played vanilla Spy exclusively up until they added the increased cloak duration to L'etranger. Granted I don't use the stock items specifically (Big Kill, Strange Knife, Ap-Sap, Enthusiast's Timepiece/Strange Watch) but they're all stock effects.

I personally agree that stock weaponry with a few exceptions, mostly melee, are all superior to their other options. The few exceptions are the Shovel, Fire Axe, Fists, and Bonesaw. Soldier, Pyro, and Heavy have no business in melee combat and should use their shotguns (flamethrower if Pyro) if the fight gets too close to them (from a stock standpoint) while Pyro and Medic stock weapons are overshadowed by a couple weapons that have no drawbacks compared to stock (Third Degree to Fire Axe, Solemn Vow/Amputator to Bonesaw). From a competition standpoint, you have the Escape Plan, Disciplinary Action, and GRUs which give the two slowest classes in the game a much needed speed boost to either reach the lines or get away from them. Furthermore Medic has the Ubersaw which provides a massive benefit to the team if you can simply make contact with your opponent and survive. In the case of the Axetinguisher, it's just much more efficient.

But other than those, stock weapons remain the most effective choices in almost all situations.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

InBOUND HD
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by InBOUND HD » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:59 pm

So no cosmetics for weapons or for character? As long as I can wear my hats and what not I am totally fine with vanilla weapons!

Joel
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Joel » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:11 pm

I agree with you, Zork, on some of the unlockable weapons like the Übersaw, and I think that's another point that I missed when I made this thread: There are weapons out there that are just completely better than the stock ones. (The Übersaw over the Bonesaw or Third Degree over the Fire Axe, for instance.) But that point is that you can still use those same stock weapons just fine even though the alternatives are even better.

And as for your question, InBOUND, I threw in the no cosmetics rule just as a throwback to the old days of TF2 when it didn't have hats, trading—even lore—and all that.

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by M's » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:32 pm

I could do this, most of my load outs are stock anyway, except for my engie and his potato masher jag.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:12 pm

I'll use stock weapons, but I refuse to remove my smoky Pith Helmet or my Japanese charity kanmuri or my exploding book. As long as it doesn't affect the game i'm cool with it.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

InBOUND HD
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by InBOUND HD » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:55 pm

After this challenge there must be a week where we dress up as free-to-plays: Ghastly Ghibus, Merc Badge are required!

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:03 pm

I've run a couple events with segments like this :-D It's good fun, when everybody is operating under the same principles, and I would love a full blown stock-only server. I dislike such personal restrictions when in general play with folks using everything, because arbitrarily restricting yourself in your equipment usage, and not deploying an item that would be more helpful, is harmful to your team. That said, there are of course plenty of weapons where the stock version is probably the best one for the job.

I already play Engy stock, and Scout is usually stock as well, though I don't play him much. Demo and soldier I use stock primary and secondary, with Pain Train melee for capping. Spy is stock knife and gun, with C&D watch. Medic, Heavy, and Pyro I play with multiple changes, and I don't consider Pyro enjoyable or particularly useful as stock any more - too many counters/immunities to afterburn from folks using non-stocks. Sniper I just don't play.
-Boss Llama

Joel
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Joel » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:01 am

Well, it's been day one of my Vanilla Challenge, and it actually took me some time getting used to. Mind you, I've mostly played Sniper so far, so I'll start with that.

I've already been using the stock Sniper Rifle and Kukri (both of which are Strange) for a while, so I'm used to those. However, I had to adjust a little to using the SMG. I normally have Jarate or the Danger Shield on me, so having a second gun was something different to say the least. Personally, I prefer Jarate for its utility and the Danger Shield because it's just really good and I mostly use my rifle.

As I and many others have said in the past, the stock Spy loadout is the most versatile, although I needed to readjust to the lack of extra cloak duration from L'Étranger. The stock Engineer loadout is pretty much the only loadout I ever use, and I have no problem with stock Scout, Soldier, and Demo.

Though he's my least played class, I would definitely need to get used to having the Shotgun instead of the Sandvich for Heavy; however, I'm already pretty well adjusted to having the KGB around instead of something like the GRU. However, I would totally need to readjust to the stock Medic loadout, mainly the lack of the Übersaw. And I think most will agree that stock Pyro will be the worst.

P.S. How come I never heard anything about vanilla-only events? I would've loved to participate.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:00 am

Keep checking the website! They get announced on the front page (like any other event), and will have a post in the Events & Activities forum.

We don't generally spam the servers with adverts for events, except the really big ones (like The Ville Cup). All our regular communications are handled here at www.theville.org!
-Boss Llama