A forum dedicated to Team Fortress 2
Snidely Whiplash
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

activate mic, computer lags

Post by Snidely Whiplash » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:47 pm

so if I haven't used my comms for about a minute then my computer lags next time I activate my mic. So to get past this I periodically tap M5, to keep it primed. Anybody familiar with this problem and have a better solution?? Sometimes I have to let people die to spies because I can't afford a 1 second lag spike

cam
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: activate mic, computer lags

Post by cam » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:01 am

When did the problem start? Do you remember making any changes to your system at the time?

What kind of mic are you using? Is it a USB mic or analog input?

Can you reinstall your audio drivers?

PC? Mac? Linux?

I did a quick google search, check this thread: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/a ... 00829.html

Maple Man
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Maple Man » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:35 pm

I already play on about 20-15, I can't afford to go any lower. It's playable, but prepare to be useless :3.

You could try using things that increase the speed of your computer in general so you have enough speed to use your mic without any lag. (Deleting cookies, history, saved passwords, etc.)

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:18 pm

This is may sound odd, but do you have Steam installed on a different hard drive than your drivers, and are those drivers on a drive that has a power-save mode active (automatically, or from a power setting)? If so, it's possible the HDD that your mic needs to have running in order to function is going to sleep while you game, because it isn't needed for that, and is having to spin up when you hit the mic key. If the above fits the bill, disable any sleep or power saving mode on your hard drives and give it a test.
-Boss Llama

YoullNeverWalkAlone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by YoullNeverWalkAlone » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:09 am

I have had times when that happens to me as well. If i'm using the mic regularly, I'm ok. If I wait for a while, then use it I freeze for a moment then usually find myself blown to bits. I always assumed it was my connection or network (we have several devices that use the wireless at home at the same time). Not sure if my laptop has multiple hard drives. I haven't seen the problem on a regular basis much lately, but it does crop up from time to time.
Thanks Sparky for the sig picture!

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And You'll Never Walk Alone,
You'll Never Walk Alone

The Truth--Justice--Remember the Hillsborough 96

trilobite
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by trilobite » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:03 pm

Snidely Whiplash wrote: Sometimes I have to let people die to spies because I can't afford a 1 second lag spike
Well THERE you go... Now players know the true meaning and importance of their sacrifice.

I asked the google about your problem and the report coming out of the intertubes points to two main areas:

1. Network issue. This could be router settings, or things as simple as crappy ethernet cables. Newer routers let you prioritize how the router handles net traffic. One setting prioritizes file downloads and throttles back streaming and gaming. Another setting prioritizes streaming and games while cutting down file transfers. If you recently got a new router check to see if you have these options. See if you can remember changing ANYTHING in your network hardware that coincided with the mic problems.

See if you can check the operational status or logs of your router or cable modem. Although they may seem fine to you, they do have a finite life and can start to behave weirdly when they start to fail.

Try playing TF2 on a local server or practice mode and see if you still get lag.

2. Audio software issue. If you added a new sound card, updated audio drivers or installed proprietary software for your sound system, check its settings and simply if possible. Or do a rollback of the recently installed audio drivers and see if the problem persists.

Mummy may be on the right track. If you connect your mic through a USB port, try a different port. Especially if you have your USB 2.0 mic plugged into a USB 3.0 port. Swap it to a USB 2.0 port.

Experiment by using a keyboard button instead of a mouse button, or try a different mouse button and see if the problem persists.

If you are running windows 7, go to control panel / sound / recording, then select your mic. Make sure it is the default recording device. Click the properties button when this mic is highlighted. Click on the enhancements tab. Make sure immediate mode is selected. Select the advanced tab. Make sure both check boxes for exclusive mode are checked.

Here are some links that show that this continues to be a mysterious problem with many possible causes...
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... -WUOH-3314
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_sea ... alk%22+lag

Best of luck.

Snidely Whiplash
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Snidely Whiplash » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:53 pm

dang thanks for the responses guys, sorry to just now get back to the forums..

I play on a macbook pro, I've played on 3 different internet setups with the same problem, I just use my onboard mic, it happens regardless of what key it is assigned to.

YoullNeverWalkAlone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by YoullNeverWalkAlone » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:04 pm

Hmm. I'm on a MacBook Pro using the in comp mic also. Haven't had the problem in a while but ill have to check now.

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
You'll Never Walk Alone

The Truth--Justice--Remember the Hillsborough 96

cam
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by cam » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:34 am

Snidely Whiplash wrote:dang thanks for the responses guys, sorry to just now get back to the forums..

I play on a macbook pro, I've played on 3 different internet setups with the same problem, I just use my onboard mic, it happens regardless of what key it is assigned to.
The work around in my link (and other posts I saw while googling) was to open System Preferences, click on Sound, and then click on Input so you can see the mic level. If you run this in the background while running tf2 it will keep the "connection" to your mic open and prevent the stutter.

YoullNeverWalkAlone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by YoullNeverWalkAlone » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:51 am

Cool, thanks Mummy!

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart