A forum dedicated to Team Fortress 2
El_Hefe
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Something strange and troubling is happening with TF2

Post by El_Hefe » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:19 pm

You'llNeverWalkAlone wrote:As TF2 was the first game I had ever really played online in a community I was scarred as hell to join up with a group and the thought of using my mic or chat was the furthest thing from my mind. My sole goal was to not screw someone up. I started sticking with Ville right away simply because of the chat. I probably ended up on tv6 and listening to armn, corky, spiff and a few others was a crack up. I found I preferred to play on a server that wasn't silent. That still holds true today.

I can't always chat due to being on my computer in bed (often once my wife has gone to sleep), but I love to play with folks who will talk. After that first group of guys I found that I was playing regularly with Spanish and Bishop and that's what drew me back to these servers to the point where I haven't played on another server than a Ville one since the first month or two of playing. As a rookie, I was more than happy to have someone direct me and help me to be a better team player. I preferred not to be called an idiot (or as on person on a non Ville server told me "you are the worst pyro ever") but I don't mind Spanish complaining about spy checking, and I really enjoyed playing with someone like Bishop who didn't make me feel like a complete noob and really helped me to not suck so much anymore.

As someone who isn't that good, I love the high quality of player here (and the general respect/lack of swearing thing). I don't ever expect to see my name on the MVP board and you know things are bad on the server if I'm top of the list for my team.
Walk... You're an MVP in my book!!

prang
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by prang » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:00 pm

Earthworm James wrote:Avanti.

Please yes.

Please.

flyingdutchman
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by flyingdutchman » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:45 pm

Cat Square wrote:I don't care if you told me not to uber you, or if Maj Ghob is standing right behind you ordering me to uber him instead, we're going in and you're going to kick all of their asses. And if you don't, np buddy ;3

This is fantastic.

I was just playing VI for a little while and ran across a few of these things.

1. Are they n00bs or are they kids? I know that a lot of the pugs that come in on the weekend are going to be fueled by a number of kids and then some of the regulars. I try to do my best personally to whoop on as many people as possible and also to try and push my team with a little direction of some tactical points, not that I've got much to offer there.

2. I feel like the medic has somewhat of a director's role when it comes to ubers. Who else is really going to tell you uber me, NOW except someone like GHOB. Most people who say "I'm no good" obviously need a way to not be "not good". I think that the best way is to roll a few and get some practice. That is what I had to do and it was a great tool. Like it was said, getting that uber made me feel like it was on my shoulders and I had to perform. I felt like it WAS my time to make it happen. I botched a bunch at first. I think that I botch fewer now. It just took some practice and a medic who wasn't just pocketing some heavy.

3. Switch it up. I use the pug times to practice other classes. I use the prime time sessions to hone my best classes. I've gotten used to certain players and certain ways we work together. I like when there is a new player who I can see good things from and begin to work with that person, or conversely learning how to play against that person.

Earthworm James
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Earthworm James » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:45 pm

prang wrote:
Earthworm James wrote:Avanti.

Please yes.

Please.

Yeah, for certain.

Cat Square
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cat Square » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:36 pm

flyingdutchman wrote: I feel like the medic has somewhat of a director's role when it comes to ubers. Who else is really going to tell you uber me, NOW except someone like GHOB. Most people who say "I'm no good" obviously need a way to not be "not good". I think that the best way is to roll a few and get some practice. That is what I had to do and it was a great tool. Like it was said, getting that uber made me feel like it was on my shoulders and I had to perform. I felt like it WAS my time to make it happen. I botched a bunch at first. I think that I botch fewer now. It just took some practice and a medic who wasn't just pocketing some heavy.
Yeah, a medic should take on a director's role. I always use my best judgement when it comes to the timing of ubers, and which patient to prioritize with heals, as opposed to letting the patients dictate that stuff. Your patients may not know it, but they want you to take charge; they need it. If you give your team the benefit of the doubt, they'll surprise you a lot more than they'll disappoint you.

flyingdutchman
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by flyingdutchman » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:09 pm

I completely agree.