Katotsu
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: Something strange and troubling is happening with TF2

Post by Katotsu » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:44 am

Alizée Fan wrote:
trilobite wrote:1. Is Dustbowl the best map for 24/7? Are there alternative maps that might be featured 24/7 that could be more popular? I have no real opinion on this, but the "Rotation" crew might have some input. I know what somedude is thinking (W.....h). Or, is there a smaller rotation of 3-4 maps that would give new players (and regulars) a chance to mix it up a little but would allow them to quickly gain high familiarity with these maps?
Yes, it is. It is consistently popular and consistently full when we'd expect it to be. Our other 24/7 attempts are either gone or empty. Remember, what you pointed out in the first post of the thread as a sign of trouble isn't that Dustbowl is empty, or even that it has open slots. It's that the wait time for getting in to the full server is shorter than it used to be. This server is still full, and people are still willing to line up and wait to play here. That says a lot - the only other place I routinely run in to that in TF2 is on the most popular trade servers.
You may be right on this, but then there's players like me. If the Ville was reduced to only a 24/7 Dustbowl server, you'd never see me again. I've been missing for so long since I don't have a computer that can play, and I've actually been hospitalized cause I lost you guys. But that's a different thing that belongs elsewhere.

Earthworm James
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Earthworm James » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:49 am

I am a mummy wrote:
Crusty Juggler wrote:I don't say anything when it's noobfest on TV6. Not over chat, not over voice. Nothing. You guys know that.

I certainly don't snap over the mic, it's the complete opposite. Cold silence while our team gets repeatedly rolled and I happily play Demoknight.
All I'm saying is that a team that keeps getting rolled might just needs a captain to rally around.
I've attempted this a lot on dustbowl, and what I can say from my experience is that whether the team succesfully comes together or not, I feel best knowing I tried to unite the team and played hard.

I resonate with what a number of you are saying about how to instill more team oriented awareness in players new to the ville(veterans too). A couple days ago I noticed an engi I'd never seen who was voicing when/where his gear was upgrading. This was a perfect moment to engage a new player and give them a reason to come back. People play these games with other people for a reason right? I think we could all acknowledge the varied experience you can get from server to server in all games, as well as what is offered here, and how each of us has the opportunity to support that. Am happy that there is a lot of positive awareness coming from this thread.

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flash » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:32 pm

Alizée Fan wrote:The best way to retain the people who will make the server a good place, IMO, has to be identifying them and working with them directly. If somebody triggers your spider sense, chat with them, help them out, joke around, make them remember our community. A person who doesn't know what the heck they're doing, but is trying hard and asking for advice (or following it when given) is a valuable future asset. If you see them, give them kudos for what they did right ("Great shot, soandso"), try to push or defend with them ("I got your back, soandso" or "Thanks, soandso"), and otherwise keep their interests in mind. Give them a reason to return
I think this quote nails it. Maybe even a "see ya tomorrow" when someone leaves as well. Basically invite them back, let them know they are welcome, etc.

Dirty Dan being helpful to a bunch of noobs on Steel is what finally made me join the forums (I had been a Ville server regular for years, but never made the step to become part of the community). Being nice, friendly and helpful to folks along with encouraging them to join the forums can go a long way to seeing a little fresh blood around here.

YoullNeverWalkAlone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by YoullNeverWalkAlone » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:44 pm

As TF2 was the first game I had ever really played online in a community I was scarred as hell to join up with a group and the thought of using my mic or chat was the furthest thing from my mind. My sole goal was to not screw someone up. I started sticking with Ville right away simply because of the chat. I probably ended up on tv6 and listening to armn, corky, spiff and a few others was a crack up. I found I preferred to play on a server that wasn't silent. That still holds true today.

I can't always chat due to being on my computer in bed (often once my wife has gone to sleep), but I love to play with folks who will talk. After that first group of guys I found that I was playing regularly with Spanish and Bishop and that's what drew me back to these servers to the point where I haven't played on another server than a Ville one since the first month or two of playing. As a rookie, I was more than happy to have someone direct me and help me to be a better team player. I preferred not to be called an idiot (or as on person on a non Ville server told me "you are the worst pyro ever") but I don't mind Spanish complaining about spy checking, and I really enjoyed playing with someone like Bishop who didn't make me feel like a complete noob and really helped me to not suck so much anymore.

As someone who isn't that good, I love the high quality of player here (and the general respect/lack of swearing thing). I don't ever expect to see my name on the MVP board and you know things are bad on the server if I'm top of the list for my team.
Thanks Sparky for the sig picture!

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And You'll Never Walk Alone,
You'll Never Walk Alone

The Truth--Justice--Remember the Hillsborough 96

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by The Domer » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:55 pm

trilobite wrote:2. Is there a time during a set of matches when the regulars are just too freakin' deadly for new players to handle? I play on other pub servers occasionally, and I do quite well. But here at the Ville, I get my clocked cleaned regularly. Is the Ville sometimes too scary and hard? Is that why new players don't stay around?
This is actually one of two primary reasons why I became a Ville regular. I stumbled upon TV8 some years ago, and got destroyed. Then, I got destroyed again. Shortly after, I was destroyed.

Fortunately, reason two is that the people were really nice! Stockholm syndrome was quick to develop in me, and soon I grew to love the very people who were manhandling me daily.

Finally, I'm a pretty competitive dude. In a non-competitive community, the best way to vent my inner competition lover is to strive for personal improvement. Every time I play I try to do better than the last time. I think many "newbies" are like me, and they'll enjoy the high level of play the Ville tends to provide, and use it to improve their own play. Those "n00bs" who refuse to be a part of the team, refuse to get better, and mainly want to tr0ll, will likely not enjoy their time here, but we don't really enjoy them either.

trilobite
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by trilobite » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:17 pm

Great comments by darklin0, Crusty, Baron_OHM, Alizee Fan, mummy, James, Flash, YNWA and Domer.

Describes the overall inviting gaming environment at the Ville. It’s nice to read testimonials about the encouragement and guidance offered by so many regulars here. And that has been my general experience – supportive comments, sometimes compliments to players, rarely whining about other team players. So, I don’t see that there is a “lack” of encouragement and guidance; was just wondering if others here thought there might be, or if there should be more encouragement and guidance. Just putting it out there, fishing for feedback – which I got. Thanks.

Alizee Fan and YNWA touch on the topic of mic chat. For me, mic chat during a match provides the most engaging experience. For example, sometimes there is a particular group of Canadians on the map and their banter completely cracks me up. Text chat scrolls away so quickly that I usually miss stuff. And frankly, I don’t want to be reading text chat while it is hard enough just trying to stay alive. Personally, I’m not much of a chatterbox but when mic chat is good natured and playful, it can result in a very rewarding experience for everyone, not just new players.

So, lots of very thoughtful feedback. Makes me feel more connected. Perhaps I’ll explore a few rounds of TV VII Rotation…
Thanks.

cam
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by cam » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:20 pm

Touching on the mic chat, itd be awesome if gold supporters had the ability for !votealltalk for the nights where everyone is in the mood to have a good time and not really looking for heated competition.

Daryldime
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Daryldime » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:38 pm

Whoa whoa whoa... people said don't uber the spy? People uber me ALL THE TIME! lol

But honestly, yeah. I played tons of customs when I first started playing this game. I never really cared for the stock maps much. When I landed on Warpath I think I first landed on NoHeros. It was fun... but I think it was 32 player and just too crowded. So I did a search and found TheVilles. I was here since that day. The competition was fiercer and the game just more fun.

I guess all I am saying is that the servers that brought us here need some love :D
Warpath Cup 2011 Spy for Hades Babies - 2nd Place
Warpath Cup 2012 Spy for Inner Children Unleashed - Champions

Cat Square
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cat Square » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:24 pm

Wow some seriously impressive and well thought-out replies here.

I think the idea of having a "Short Rotation" is a great one, because the full rotation draws such a niche crowd. The people on tv7 either like to play every map (a fairly rare player type), or just the current map (these players will leave when the map changes).

It'd be fun to hold big votes on the forums for what would become "next month's rotation".

Also, nothing is more fun than pulling together a team of newbies as medic, or ubering a newbie. If you're in the right position at the right time, I don't care if you told me not to uber you, or if Maj Ghob is standing right behind you ordering me to uber him instead, we're going in and you're going to kick all of their asses. And if you don't, np buddy ;3

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:25 pm

I'm just going to point out that, if you or someone you know is interested in Buzzy's Teamwork sessions, they can sign up here:
http://www.thevilluns.org/forums/viewto ... 29&t=23469

We have a few spots left and are happy to have folks, though this is intermediate level stuff, not for folks that are still figuring out gameplay basics or how the classes play.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

Earthworm James
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Earthworm James » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:46 pm

Plinko wrote:I'm just going to point out that, if you or someone you know is interested in Buzzy's Teamwork sessions, they can sign up here:
http://www.thevilluns.org/forums/viewto ... 29&t=23469

We have a few spots left and are happy to have folks, though this is intermediate level stuff, not for folks that are still figuring out gameplay basics or how the classes play.
Will check it out, thanks Plinko.

somedude
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by somedude » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:44 pm

trilobite wrote:
1. Is Dustbowl the best map for 24/7? Are there alternative maps that might be featured 24/7 that could be more popular? I have no real opinion on this, but the "Rotation" crew might have some input. I know what somedude is thinking (W.....h). Or, is there a smaller rotation of 3-4 maps that would give new players (and regulars) a chance to mix it up a little but would allow them to quickly gain high familiarity with these maps?

What do you think?

As it currently stands TV6 does seem to be the only 24/7 server with a single map that deserves to be running as it is usually full. I'm not so much a fan of Warpath as I am err was a fan of TV8 mainly because of the regular crew that was on there and because it is a fun CP map (which I'm a bit more partial to than the other map types). But considering its utilization lately I don't see a reason for keeping it around on a dedicated 24/7 server. Before setting it out to pasture though I would love to see TV do a little campaign and give it a bit of focus to see if its popularity could be restored. If after that it is still as inactive as it currently is well then no need to waste resources on it. Maybe make TV8 into a CP map rotation server with WP as one of the maps in the rotation? I'm not a big fan of the cart pushing maps so a rotation server that excludes those would appeal to me (and possibly others?). TV could do a poll to see which if any maps folks think deserve 24/7 dedication and possibly could use TV8 as a proving ground?
My backpack holler if you see something you would like to trade for.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."

— Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)

Earthworm James
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Earthworm James » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:39 pm

Avanti.

MrBlah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MrBlah » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:01 pm

Earthworm James wrote:Avanti.
Eater of Potatoes, since 2008.

I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

somedude
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by somedude » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:03 pm

Earthworm James wrote:Avanti.
Was one of my favorites in tfc, so I would be for giving it a go.
My backpack holler if you see something you would like to trade for.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."

— Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)