Retired Admin
Minecraft name: Supreveio
Blizzard tag: Supreveio#1728

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Villun Creativity: Rebalancing Items Edition

Post by Supreveio » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:01 am

Like the looks of some of the weapons in TF2, but hate what Valve has done with them stat-wise?

Then why not give your opinions on how some weapons could be changed to make them more fun and viable in play.

An example of what I mean:

The Claidheamh Mor
Level 10 Sword
Gain increased charge duration, shield recharge rate, and self-damage resistance with every head you take
-25 max health on wearer
No random critical hits

Why?: Because currently the Claidheamh Mor is for Demoknights only, and even then it isn't even a good weapon for them. So I propose a heads system like the Eyelander. Every kill you make with the Claidheamh Mor increases your charge duration, the recharge rate of your shield, and self-damage resistance in the case of you using the Grenade Launcher and/or Stickybomb Launcher. My idea is that every head (up to a max of 4 heads like the Eyelander) increases these stats: +0.25 second increase in charge duration per head (max of +1 second at 4 heads), +50% faster shield recharge rate (max of +200% at 4 heads), and +10% self damage resistance (max +40% at 4 heads). Plus, the heads also increase the bash damage of the shields.

The trade off is an increased health penalty, making you squishier (150 HP), with no way to increase it with heads (unlike the Eyelander) and the standard no-crit penalty as with the other swords.
"So what have you been up to, man? Haven't seen you in so long!"
"Ah, you know how it is. Doin' a lot of side projects, some consulting, maybe a little freelance... Those are words that people say when they haven't actually been doing anything, right?"

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Villun Creativity: Rebalancing Items Edition

Post by Zork Nemesis » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:35 pm

Tough to make changes to weapons without hearing some outcry. Most of the cast-off items are the melee weapons where many stock weapons are no longer viable thanks to the numerous counterparts that are pretty much straight upgrades. While some have drawbacks, a couple don't. Some changes I would like to see for weapons that are pretty much straight upgrades:

The Third Degree
Hits all targets connected by healgun beams
No random critical hits

Unlocks are supposed to be (or were at least originally intended to be) sidegrades, and Third Degree is a straight upgrade to stock. Given the fact that the Third Degree is one of the few melee weapons capable of hitting multiple targets at once, I feel it should have a damage penalty somewhere. A lack of criticals would probably cover this.

The Solemn Vow
Allows you to see enemy health
Enemies can see your health regardless of class/loadout

This turns the Vow into a double-edged sword, you still get the intel on your enemies, but now the enemies get intel on you and thus by looking into your enemies' health, they can see yours and they'll know when to pick you off.

I don't see a problem with the Amputator. While yes, there's no drawback to using it over the Bonesaw, you need to taunt and expose yourself to make use of it's effect. Still maybe a slight damage penalty is in order since it's more for defense than the Bonesaw's offensive advantage.

As a blanket boost for stock weapons, I also believe stock weapons should have a slightly higher critical hit rate. Yes, melee weapons already have high critical chance, but for those who like to roll on criticals, I feel stock weapons should be the best choice for that (with exceptions going to weapons that guarantee criticals under certain conditions, provided they can't crit to begin with.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

Supreveio
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Supreveio » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:35 am

The Warrior's Spirit is a pretty bad weapon. +30% more damage dealt for 20 less health. What if we made it more than just a killing weapon when used with the Steak?

He's like a bear! He's like a big shaved bear that hates people!

The Warrior's Spirit
Level 10 Boxing Gloves
On Hit: Bleed for 6 seconds
Damage dealt is returned as health

+25% bullet damage vulnerability on wearer

Sharp claws? Why not Zoidberg bleed damage? Gain 65 health on a hit, plus 48 over time through bleed, buffed to 88 on hit and 60 over time when coupled with the Buffalo Steak Sandvich (and 195 on a crit). But you take 25% more damage from boolits while wearing them, making Scouts and other Heavies more threatening than usual when directly confronted.
"Ah, you know how it is. Doin' a lot of side projects, some consulting, maybe a little freelance... Those are words that people say when they haven't actually been doing anything, right?"

Supreveio
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Supreveio » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:05 pm

An idea for the Phlogistinator that I think would save it from being a brainless weapon:

The Phlogistinator
Level 10 Aether Combustor
Does not require ammo
All fire damage dealt builds Mmmph
Taunt with full Mmmph to refill your health and gain 100% crits for 10 seconds

-10% damage penalty
No random critical hits

Airblast disintegrates projectiles for fuel

Hidden Attributes:
-100% airblast cost
Ammo slowly recharges over time when not firing

-50% max primary ammo on wearer
Possible: Airblast has lesser/no knockback force

Why: Right now the Phlogistinator is outclassed by the other three Flamethrowers for the sheer fact that you have no way of defending yourself against Soldier and Demo projectiles. It's only effective at stomping bad players. If your opponents are any bit competent, they will shut you down easily. Plus, the lack of an airblast means you're restricted to ambushing and W+M1. Plus it actually goes backwards in terms of teamplay, as Mmmph only affects the Pyro and you can't even extinguish teammates with it.

This is why I propose the following:
- "Does not require ammo" - Similar to the Cow Mangler, Righteous Bison and Pomson. Sure, it's a pretty dumb bonus, especially on a weapon that does not need to be reloaded. Which is why I also propose a -50% max ammo penalty on it as a hidden stat. 100 ammo won't get you very far W+M1ing, especially since you can't pick up fallen weapons for ammo. Leading into the last ammo-based trait: "Ammo recharges over time when not firing". You have to stop firing every once and a while to recharge your weapon. Works similarly to the Spy's cloaking devices, but has a delay between when you stop firing and when the ammo starts recharging.
- Taunt with full Mmmph to gain the effects. Since my proposed tweak involves adding an airblast back onto it.
- Speaking of airblasts, they cost no ammo with this weapon. In exchange, you cannot deflect projectiles. Instead, projectiles are disintegrated to regain some ammo. However, you can still extinguish teammates with it. I think a possible reduction in knockback force on enemies would also be in order.

Thoughts?