Larry
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: TF2WH

Post by Larry » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:16 pm

TheCarpe wrote:
Alizée Fan wrote:I'm not complaining about the profit, just pointing out it's why the model doesn't work. If they add a system to purchase credits (and can actually keep their site up) it will work much better.
Then it seems like you'd be getting into possibly messy territory with the site essentially accepting money for people to get TF2 items. I could see Valve and the Mann Co. Store not being fans of that idea.
Lawsuits maybe? I don't know i'm not a lawyer, but it sounds sketchy...
Thanks to Seagreens for the spiffy banner!
VIEW CONTENT:
RIP Mr. Laptop 5/21/13
USAHB-Team Hand Brake 2012 Villy-Stuff
#HL3 TVC '13
FAIL Warpath Cup 2012-Proud to FAIL
Heck's Kitchen 2011

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:25 pm

TheCarpe wrote:Then it seems like you'd be getting into possibly messy territory with the site essentially accepting money for people to get TF2 items. I could see Valve and the Mann Co. Store not being fans of that idea.
That is true, though Valve doesn't care/hasn't reacted to any of the other sites that sell for cash, like SourceOP, which massively undercut the Valve store on pretty much everything (Keys for $1.50, hats for $1-$3, tags for $1.10, etc). In legal terms, people would just be paying the site owner for in-game items the site owner owns - he's just made a very fancy interface for the transactions.

The folks without recourse if something happened would be we traders who gave our stuff to their bots for nothing but some made-up "credits" currency, vaguely akin to the Second Life banking "scandal" from a bit back. TF2wh is functionally operating like a bank, where deposits and withdrawls are made in items, but accounting is done with credits that are controlled, and arbitrarily changed on a regular basis, at the whim of the operator.

All that said, I still like it and use it :-P Picked up 5 more items from them today.
-Boss Llama

One_Medic_Army
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by One_Medic_Army » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:04 am

Personally I use it to pick up keys, they have so many of the things available most times.
ImageImage
VIEW CONTENT:

Baron_OHM
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Baron_OHM » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:30 pm

Funny reading through this. Now, you can trade credits for cash (albeit an average unusual... which statistically you'd get for paying for about 100 keys, will pay back only 200 dollars). The system with credits and bitcoins is, as seen from that example, a huge loss on the player's part if you try to buy the items from the store and sell them in. However, given as how you get drops for free, with a multidle system you could make a few bucks. Nothing significant though. If I cared I could get $13 every two months with my system.
Anyway, I never noticed that they make a 'profit' of credits until I read this. Now, the website owners can actually make real cash off a limitless resource. Wow.

EDIT: Nevermind about the keys. Someone reserved all 80 of them.

OmgOhnoes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by OmgOhnoes » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:06 pm

Baron_OHM wrote:Funny reading through this. Now, you can trade credits for cash (albeit an average unusual... which statistically you'd get for paying for about 100 keys, will pay back only 200 dollars). The system with credits and bitcoins is, as seen from that example, a huge loss on the player's part if you try to buy the items from the store and sell them in. However, given as how you get drops for free, with a multidle system you could make a few bucks. Nothing significant though. If I cared I could get $13 every two months with my system.
Anyway, I never noticed that they make a 'profit' of credits until I read this. Now, the website owners can actually make real cash off a limitless resource. Wow.

EDIT: Nevermind about the keys. Someone reserved all 80 of them.
Thanks for beating a dead horse Baron... ;)

The WH has it's place, and yes they make money.. that's why they run these sites and those oriented around other games. That being said, up until the bitcoin exchange fee they were making money only on ad revenue.

For those desperate enough to want to buy everything immediately or those that simply don't have the patience to sell items it's a good mix. I haven't seen the WH emptied of items like i expected (specifically the unusuals) but that could just be because the consign prices on the vast majority of hats are very much overpriced and usually from the same person.

That being said, there are many ways to make bitcoins, some for free so people who take advantage of that have a source (other than selling items) of possibly obtaining things they want.

MrBlah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MrBlah » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:39 pm

It's such a pain in the ass to buy or sell anything on there anyway, so I don't really bother to use it anymore.
Eater of Potatoes, since 2008.

I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Larry
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Larry » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:14 pm

When i did use it, it had hour long queue times. By the time i was able to trade, I forgot what I wanted to trade.
Thanks to Seagreens for the spiffy banner!
VIEW CONTENT:
RIP Mr. Laptop 5/21/13
USAHB-Team Hand Brake 2012 Villy-Stuff
#HL3 TVC '13
FAIL Warpath Cup 2012-Proud to FAIL
Heck's Kitchen 2011

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:19 pm

Ever since they introduced the "trust system" and tiers, it's been utterly pointless and impossible to use. I'm saddened, as it was a good resource, but no more. I tried to give it another go recently, to see if things were better than I recalled them becoming, but they got worse instead. :-/
-Boss Llama

Peahats
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Peahats » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:28 pm

It really only works well around updates, with lots of items in high demand and in low stock. Unfortunately since everybody is trying to trade, the site clogs up at this time too.

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:54 pm

With the tier systems, it's very hard to use for casual traders. I've traded a couple hundred thousand credits worth of stuff but today I'm a nobody because my last trades were over three weeks ago. I know this was part of the deal they made with Valve during the last duping scandal, but it means the place is basically now an outlet for high volume traders and folks looking for low end stuff only.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:58 pm

Aye - I was a paid ultimate subscriber with over 3,000,000 credits worth of trading in the bag when they went to the new system, and haven't had a successful trade since. 1600 person queues that take 6-7 hours to wait through, followed by the bot erroring out and closing the trade prematurely, ain't fun. Had that happen 3 times in a row on my most recent attempt with them before giving up again.
-Boss Llama

Katotsu
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Katotsu » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:36 pm

While I will say that the bot does error a lot, I usually have a 10 min wait time. When do you guys try trading :/

Also, its been about 2 months since my last trade, if its changed since then.