Lag and latency variability on TV VI Dustbowl

A forum dedicated to Team Fortress 2
trilobite
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Re: Lag and latency variability on TV VI Dustbowl

Post by trilobite » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:52 pm

I just did a quick survey of several other game communities that appear NOT to use gameserver.com servers. Chat from TF2 servers in LA, NY, Chicago, Texas and Europe all indicate players surprised by the sudden onset of lag events. If servers run by different outfits around the world are all having the same problem, then that suggests something wrong in Valve's code.

It has happened before -- usually with crashing events. The good news is that Valve eventually finds the problems and fixes them. If it IS a coding problem, then I guess we wait for Valve to fix it.

The Spanish Inquisition
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by The Spanish Inquisition » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:27 pm

trilobite wrote:I just did a quick survey of several other game communities that appear NOT to use gameserver.com servers. Chat from TF2 servers in LA, NY, Chicago, Texas and Europe all indicate players surprised by the sudden onset of lag events. If servers run by different outfits around the world are all having the same problem, then that suggests something wrong in Valve's code.
FPS multiplayer networking code has not changed much since the early 90's. Valve would not change this.

Every year this time, BEFORE january budgets for new equipment at datacenters are allocated and right AFTER christmas when loads of people get new online gadgets, computers, and toys, THE INTERNET SLOWS DOWN. This has happened every year since 1995-6.
Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition!

trilobite
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by trilobite » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:07 pm

The Spanish Inquisition wrote:
FPS multiplayer networking code has not changed much since the early 90's. Valve would not change this.

Every year this time, BEFORE january budgets for new equipment at datacenters are allocated and right AFTER christmas when loads of people get new online gadgets, computers, and toys, THE INTERNET SLOWS DOWN. This has happened every year since 1995-6.
If what you say is true, then the solution is very simple. Someone needs to call the internet and demand that it:
1) stop playing around with all its new gadgets and;
2) add more tubes. And make 'em bigger for good measure.

How hard can that actually be?
I'll do it myself. Somebody feed me the telephone number for the internets. I'll dial it right now and get this thing fixed once and for all. I'm not afraid; I've got AT&T mobile.

I am confident that a little pressure mixed with sound reasoning and moral authority will convince the internet to do the right thing PRONTO!
I am incredulous. How can red-blooded Americans, and (choose your color, or temperature)-blooded Canadians properly consume content over the intertubes if the tubes get all clogged up with new gadgets? And just because I left out every other nationality, ethnic group and gender who plays here -- don't take that personally. Everyone's Gangnam Style replays keep sticking and skipping... Disgraceful. Maybe the internet is too busy watching that video to care about little ol' us here just trying to enjoy a relaxed evening of fraggin'. Instead, it's a stressed out night of laggin'. HOLY HAND GRENADE, TIM!

But seriously, when you say "FPS multiplayer networking code has not changed much since the early 90's." I assume you are talking about "Call of Duty," for which I would have to agree. But Valve. Think about it. Why name yourself "Valve" if you didn't control the flow of stuff on the internets with (wait for it)... valves? I think this company has a pretty good set of valves that it could just open and eliminate all the lag. I think the lag was them closing valves and forcing us to quit playing our games, and then do other things like shop at the Steam store. Now that the winter holiday sale is over, maybe the valves will reopen.

I know I'm pretty much right on all this stuff because I base it on information I discovered on the google. So, doubt me if you like, but I stand firm in my certitude.

And to all of you smug villuns who claim you're not laggging, and everything is just fine, I have two words just for you. "Liars!"

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:15 pm

trilobite wrote:How hard can that actually be?
Without reading the rest, one word: money. Even with the amount of revenue these guys supposedly pull by hosting hundreds if not thousands of servers, they probably have to spend so much of it on server maintenance that they likely can't afford the best connections to handle the flow of traffic they get, which has likely increased between when the place opened up and now. It's a choice between functional servers or high speeds, and I'd rather take a working slow server over a broken fast server.

High-end networking is not exactly cheap. Back in 2010 when I bought a router for my own network in my barracks room, I had to spend at least $60 on that, for one computer and one game console, and the most I got out of that connection was about 2.5 MB/sec. I don't remember the monthly fee overall (want to say 10-15 a month, I honestly don't remember), but just the router was a fair price and while that may seem cheap to many of you it wasn't to me.

The internet itself is not the issue, it likely falls with the providers and the hosts not being able to get the best possible speeds for their server farm. That would be my guess.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

Katotsu
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Katotsu » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:25 pm

Reading these posts makes me ask another thing that's not wholly related to the original question: how much is too much lag? I know that my ping on TF2 was ALWAYS between 120 and 180. I was never harmed by this much lag. I could do everything except Somedude level airblasting and Professional level tactics. So how much is too much lag?

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:48 pm

100 is generally the edge of functional, go much higher and you do start to see noticeable delays in your attacks. As an east-coaster I've learned to adapt to an average of 90-110 since the main servers are located in CA somewhere. There are cases though when even with such latency, you'll occasionally see the rubberbanding that prompted this post in the first place.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Boss Llama » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:16 pm

I'm currently stuck with 80-100 as well, due to east coast location, and believe me - if it weren't The Ville, I wouldn't tolerate it. The most I'm willing to put up with for FPSs normally is around 50, and I prefer to look for something in the 30s. I can definitely feel the difference between 50 and 100, with 100 (what I currently have) being borderline unplayable in many circumstances. While a large part of my reduction in TF2 time is the result of the game aging, there was a significant drop associated with my move out here and the resultant jump in ping; I feel like I no longer have full control of my character, and it's infuriating.
-Boss Llama

YoullNeverWalkAlone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by YoullNeverWalkAlone » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:26 pm

Alizée Fan wrote:I'm currently stuck with 80-100 as well, due to east coast location, and believe me - if it weren't The Ville, I wouldn't tolerate it. The most I'm willing to put up with for FPSs normally is around 50, and I prefer to look for something in the 30s. I can definitely feel the difference between 50 and 100, with 100 (what I currently have) being borderline unplayable in many circumstances. While a large part of my reduction in TF2 time is the result of the game aging, there was a significant drop associated with my move out here and the resultant jump in ping; I feel like I no longer have full control of my character, and it's infuriating.
We call that the "YNWA Gameplay". Combine my (lack of) skills with my track pad, and voila! control is optional.
Thanks Sparky for the sig picture!

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And You'll Never Walk Alone,
You'll Never Walk Alone

The Truth--Justice--Remember the Hillsborough 96

Katotsu
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Katotsu » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:42 am

I never encountered all those symptoms you listed. Maybe my ping display lied to me. Somehow.

Pepsibottle1
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Pepsibottle1 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:07 pm

Alizée Fan wrote:I'm currently stuck with 80-100 as well, due to east coast location, and believe me - if it weren't The Ville, I wouldn't tolerate it. The most I'm willing to put up with for FPSs normally is around 50, and I prefer to look for something in the 30s. I can definitely feel the difference between 50 and 100, with 100 (what I currently have) being borderline unplayable in many circumstances. While a large part of my reduction in TF2 time is the result of the game aging, there was a significant drop associated with my move out here and the resultant jump in ping; I feel like I no longer have full control of my character, and it's infuriating.
Same here. Constant 81 at best and I'm on 21mb Cox internet in VA. A bit frustrating as I can relate to what he observes as well. Puzzled as to what this could be....

"To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the boundary of disaster." - Sterling Moss
Resident Motorsports Enthusiast and Sim Racer