A forum dedicated to Team Fortress 2
Snidely Whiplash
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

TheVille, hella!

Post by Snidely Whiplash » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:59 pm

Hey I just wanted to say I appreciate TheVille and the people who make it rock! I remember one of the first times I played on TV vi and I had an uber to save the game with! so I take my target and we charge across the bridge of stage 3(we're defense) to wreak havoc on the hallways, and the enemy team simply runs past us and caps, we lose. A couple kids started tearing into me for using my uber improperly and I was just about shamed into leaving when somebody said

"chill, out; you don't need to crucify the guy"

A few weeks ago I heard somebody say this in a similar situation and it reminded me of why I started hanging out at TheVille.

Kagsacar
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: TheVille, hella!

Post by Kagsacar » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:05 pm

I signed up here simply because there was no game breaking "premium" option. God i hate premium servers...

XxOtaruxX
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by XxOtaruxX » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:13 am

Definitely. I find that the regulars are (generally) really accepting and pretty cool people. I know we all get a little ragey when people fail a lot, but most of the people here try and tell you how it should be done, give you tips so next time you can try and do things a little better. It's nice not to be surrounded by jerks.
I'm Saw-rry!

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Zork Nemesis » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:27 am

Treat others how you yourself want to be treated. Online gaming can be rather tense at times; it's easy to forget that the avatars you're working with are in fact real people, and it's also not helped by having a degree anonymity behind your own persona can give you a sense of power as you won't have as strong repercussions as if you were saying it to someone's face (protip: around here, that doesn't work). Everyone wasn't "the best" at one point, everyone starts somewhere. There was no instant-professional gamer within the first five minutes.

That's not to say we don't all make mistakes either. I've gone through several bouts of frustrations: a bad round of TF2 doesn't help your stress from the day as much as you'd want it to. I've personally been on the mute/gag list for such behavior; had I not shown that I can conduct myself professionally among peers I likely wouldn't still be here today. I still lapse at times when I shouldn't (when things come across to me that seem like they should be common sense in particular) but I know that's not right and that everyone, everyone, deserves a chance.

Between this and the lack of significant server mods (Ville servers are the most vanilla servers i've run into that aren't straight-up Valve official, and even then we still have our quirks) is, what I think, the main reasons I decided to stay.

I still relay that the main reason I stopped playing World of Warcraft was because of the in-game community; on my server I never found a group of friends and was frequently rejected due to my class choice alone (Death Knight, during Lich King days). Fantastic game; I still miss it, but the terrible player base is enough of a deterrent for me to not go back. At least with Final Fantasy XI, there's a substantial language barrier; I don't know if that guy hates what i'm doing; I can't read Japanese text or understand German.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

trilobite
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by trilobite » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:12 pm

Well, Snidely, it is always a pleasure to play with you... and many other regulars here. In my about a year-and-a-half experience here, I have had only one regular give me serious grief. That was about a year ago. Otherwise, yea, all good stuff.

I try to be cheery as much as possible by reminding myself TF2 is supposed to be fun. But underneath, I am very competitive. Sometimes I am not gracious when my game or my team goes south for a few rounds. Lucky for everyone, you can't hear me rage off-mic.

Thanks for all the cool villuns, like Snidely, who make this such a friendly place to hang out.

Larry
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Larry » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:28 pm

Sometimes, when I feel a little down. I take my pants off and dance around. You can't be mad or sad at anything after that, cause you feel like too much like a idiot and a fool.
Thanks to Seagreens for the spiffy banner!
VIEW CONTENT:
RIP Mr. Laptop 5/21/13
USAHB-Team Hand Brake 2012 Villy-Stuff
#HL3 TVC '13
FAIL Warpath Cup 2012-Proud to FAIL
Heck's Kitchen 2011

Fingolfin
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Fingolfin » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:57 pm

I followed Domer here initially, and now these are the only servers I want to play on. The community just makes TF2 more enjoyable than on any other server I've tried. Always nice to see the familiar names... Not always nice to see the familiar tactics (cough)Caulk(cough). So yeah, echoing the above sentiments. Thanks, Villuns!
"...and all that beheld his onset fled in amaze, thinking that Oromë himself was come: for a great madness of rage was upon him, so that his eyes shone like the eyes of the Valar. Thus he came alone to Angband's gates, and challenged Morgoth to come forth to single combat. And Morgoth came."

El_Hefe
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by El_Hefe » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:17 pm

i yell at everyone equally!!

:clap:

cam
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by cam » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:42 pm

trilobite wrote:Well, Snidely, it is always a pleasure to play with you... and many other regulars here. In my about a year-and-a-half experience here, I have had only one regular give me serious grief. That was about a year ago. Otherwise, yea, all good stuff.

I try to be cheery as much as possible by reminding myself TF2 is supposed to be fun. But underneath, I am very competitive. Sometimes I am not gracious when my game or my team goes south for a few rounds. Lucky for everyone, you can't hear me rage off-mic.

Thanks for all the cool villuns, like Snidely, who make this such a friendly place to hang out.
I gotta say trilobyte, the last month or so you have really been getting people to step up the game in TV6! Always a pleasure to have you in game.

Crusty Juggler
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Crusty Juggler » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:35 pm

trilobite wrote:In my about a year-and-a-half experience here, I have had only one regular give me serious grief. That was about a year ago. Otherwise, yea, all good stuff.
I'm sorry about that time I insulted your primeval exoskeleton as being weak and ill-suited for predator defense. In the end, evolution proved me the fool.
trilobite wrote:Thanks for all the cool villuns, like Snidely, who make this such a friendly place to hang out.
Snidely should be in a Ville guild. No one puts in more work on horrendous teams in an attempt to balance it out more than Snidely. I don't know how he does it. When I switch to help a bad team, I always end up getting discouraged and DC'ing or playing Demoknight.
I am a mummy wrote:I gotta say trilobyte, the last month or so you have really been getting people to step up the game in TV6! Always a pleasure to have you in game.
We all need to step up the play level on TV6 now that it's been in an extended lull. We need a TV6 regulars group, a public one on Steam to spam players with messages to come play. Similar to Teh Ocho.

Having a pop-up message in Steam telling you, "Come play in an hour!" was pretty effective during TVC when we practiced. I don't recall having to bug my players to come scrim, it was just the opposite. People would message me to confirm they're showing. Let's apply that to TV6 and get more regulars to show up.
  • The Ville Cup 2012 Champions - [SNES] Superflous Nipples Equals Success - Captain
    Dustbowl<3Warpath Champions- Team CDi- Captain

Cat Square
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cat Square » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:25 pm

I was happy to see TV6 still fragging late into the night on Christmas Eve and Christmas. Warmed my heart a little bit.

flyingdutchman
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by flyingdutchman » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:53 pm

I too echo the sentiments about you trilobite. You and I started in the Ville near the same time and I immediately appreciated how we were able to learn and improve a lot together.

The Ville is great. After the recent tragedy in Connecticut my wife had questions about TF2 and other shooter games. I told her many of the normal responses and told her that above all other things the Ville is a community. I told her that the games aren't about rage or aggression it actually is about the other players. Besting the best or at least improving on my best. Even being invited to <eVa> was a surprise and another way that I felt attached. I don't think I'm all that great of a player, but I like coming back and watching the rest if you who are.