TV2 Revival/Discussion Thread 2.0: The Re-revivaling

A forum dedicated to Team Fortress 2
Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:16 pm

I think that was one of the best games of freight I've had tonight.

Went back and forth for quite a while until my team pushed through and capped the last point.

eraD
Villun
Villun
Loading…

Post by eraD » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:31 pm

[quote="Guardian";p="180999"]I think that was one of the best games of freight I've had tonight.

Went back and forth for quite a while until my team pushed through and capped the last point.[/quote]
Yeah that was a pretty good game. I actually had some fun playing medic. :D

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: TV2 Revival/Discussion Thread 2.0: The Re-revivaling

Post by Plinko » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:39 pm

BOOOOOOOOOO!
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

eraD
Villun
Villun
Loading…

Post by eraD » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:48 pm

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOURN!

itchy
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by itchy » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:02 am

[align=center]Image[/align]

June 29, 2009
Mondays here in the TV2 Thread will be devoted to mapping discussions. This week will mostly just be an introduction, but we do have some important things to discuss.

The Map Team:
First off, we're forming a mapping team - a group that keeps their finger on the pulse of new quality maps coming out. They'll be checking out said maps on their own time to (potentially) review them and decide if they're worth considering for the server. This team will, for the most part, be the ones operating the Monday updates of the thread - keeping it up to date with map discussions, reviews, suggestions, removals, etc. Currently Ferret is at the head of this group of map-seekers, so if you're interested in helping him out, be sure to drop one of us a message. He has the final word on who gets to help out.

Round Limit Changes:
We are still in the process of changing the round limits for specific map types. Post-change, they will be:

* cp, ctf, pl: 3 rounds maximum
* arena: 10 rounds maximum

We're also looking into switching specific cp maps (like A/D maps) and pl maps to 2 rounds maximum, but we'll see how 3 rounds works first.

TF2Maps Contest:
Currently, there's a mapping contest going on over at TF2Maps.net focusing around the PLR and A/D style CTF gametypes. We hope to see some promising new maps coming out of this contest, so keep an eye on what's going on over there.

Turbine Has to Go:
Second off, we really need to consider taking Turbine off of the server. Turbine is a well-balanced and popular map, and a lot of the TV2 Seeders enjoy it. But the problem with it is that it draws a very specific non-TV crowd that only likes Turbine, and then leaves the second the map changes to a true custom map (which all of the other maps on the server are). I've heard complaints from several seeders that they had to essentially fill the server twice - once pre-Turbine, and once post-Turbine - just because it's such a volatile map population-wise. Turbine's great if we want to get a short burst of players, but it's terrible if we want to keep players.

Feel free to discuss.
[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3566/3304587268_69e66ce816_o.png[/img]
[size=67][url=http://www.theville.org/viewtopic.php?t=11702]I've been found out![/url][/size]

Jesus_Faction
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Jesus_Faction » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:38 am

Every time turbine ends the server population usually drops 50%

so it absolutely must go

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:44 am

I've been keeping the server tracking charts every day this week, tonight I'm going to pull them together and analyze. It will be only 1 weeks data but it's a start.
I did not notice any consistent negative effects from turbine, but I'll look carefully when I merge the graphs.

I am going to be looking at 3 things to highlight (can't finish the project until I get home this afternoon):

1. Lay the graphs over each other with times fixed to discover any consistent peaks/troughs due to time of day (ie do we see a consistent exit/rush at a given hour beyond seeding?)

2. Review all dips and see if there is consistency for maps that cause them.

3. Review all controversial/low-rated maps (turbine, chaos, silvertrail, arenas) and see if they have any negative effects either during their run or the next map after.

4. Count maps run during 18+ player count to see what's winning the most votes.

If anyone wants to make any suggestions for analysis (say, review specific map performance beyond the ones I mentioned) before I finish, please let me know!

Nick Mame
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Nick Mame » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:59 am

1-3 are about the extent of what you can use the charts for. 4 won't be reliable since a good map might show up with the single most popular map each vote, maps might not appear the same number of times, maps can win the vote on a full server with 3 votes and maps can be tied on number of votes. You can share the results - but it's not something significant unless one map appears 50% of the time or one map never appears at all.
Interested in custom maps? Join the [url=http://steamcommunity.com/groups/tvii][u]TV2 Seeding Group[/u][/url]!

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:16 am

Furnace creek has been updated to b3

http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=5889
Updated to _b3

* Reduced height of the tower dramatically.
* Moved crane on the B building out of the way of rooftop players.
* Increased the height of the ceiling playerclip at C.
* Greatly improved playerclipping.
* Increased danger of straying in the focus of the mirror array.
* Detailing improvements over entire map.
* Increased distance between cap point A building and the rear cliff.
* Slightly adjusted spawn timers and capture time at C.
* Added team ownership based spectator cameras.
* Slightly decreased intensity of sun glare and slightly increased light levels.
* Fixed soundscapes.
* Miscellaneous other tweaks.

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:27 am

[quote="Nick Mame";p="181204"] it's not something significant unless one map appears 50% of the time or one map never appears at all.
[/quote]

I suspect there might be a bit of the latter, but that's why I want to count.

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:36 pm

OK, yay for double posting!

I am attaching four graphics - two weekday and two weekend graphics - one for each just showing the server graphs and then one with certain maps highlighted.
I highlighted Silvertrail, Turbine, Chaos and Arena_Storm/Harvest. Note I've shifted the graphs to be as close as I can to vertically matched for time of day (I think the server time is Pacific).

Monday-Friday

Weekend

Now with the maps highlighted:
Red- Turbine
Yellow - Arena
Green - Silvertrail
Blue - Chaos

Silvertrail and Chaos don't get played a lot. Turbine definitely does.

And then I looked at the dips that occurred once the server was well-populated but not at the end of the night (for now lets assume the server dies at about the same time and it's not map-related.
I'm going to list the map pairs that surround the dip. The first one was defnitely well-populated when it started and the dip starts either at the end of it or during the beginning of the next map. Make what you will of it, I'm running out of time to be thoughtful here.

Avanti-Desertfortress
DB-Heights-Fallout
Turbine-Fallout
DB_Heights-Follower
Corporation-Turbine
Waste-Follower
Desertfortress-Turbine
Desertfortress-Follower
Turbine-Mill
Freight-Desertfortress
Follower-Waste

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:37 pm

One quick thing I'll point out about these graphs - there seems to be a consistent dip around 17:00 each day. This may be independent of maps - it may simply be the time when most people have supper/nourishment of some kind.
I am the 1%!

itchy
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by itchy » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:45 am

[align=center]Image[/align]

July 6th, 2009
Not much has changed from last week (we're still waiting for changes to get pushed through), but in an effort to get updates back on track, here's the latest info.

Pending Changes:
Here's the pending (updated) changelist I'll be sending on to Silver:
* PL maps (stovepipe, mill, halfacre) max round limit changed to 2 (maybe?)
* A/D maps (avantiville, silvertrail, furnace) max round limit changed to 2
* ARENA (harvest) max round limit changed to 10
* CP/CTF maps max round limit changed to 3
* ctf_turbine removed
* avantiville updated to latest version
* camping_trip updated to latest version (maybe?)

Questions or concerns, drop them in here.

Maps to Watch:
Here's a couple maps that ferret's found. Take a look at them, download them, run around a bit, and tell us what you think!
CP_GLACIER
ImageImageImage
http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=6684

CTF_OPERATIVE
ImageImageImage
http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=7649

Give them a look-see.

TV2 FAIL:
Well, we've fallen behind in a lot of ways this week. First, the updates haven't been coming as often as they should be - and that's largely my fault. The updates here are set to be released every MWF, and this past week we only got Monday. That's a 33% - failing by just about any standard! Though that ended up being nice for Plinko, since he got to hold on to PotW for an extra week. :lol:

Also, seeding has fallen a bit behind. There were only a few days that we managed to fill the server and keep it that way for any length of time. Part of that is assuredly because of the holiday, but part of it is also just because we've been getting a bit lax.

The Seeding Group also hasn't picked up any new members this week, whereas in the past, it had been getting a new member almost daily. We need to reach out not only to TV regulars, but also to new players that grace the server. Be friendly!

In other words, we all need to step up our game a little bit. TV2 isn't going to re-revive itself!
Last edited by itchy on Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3566/3304587268_69e66ce816_o.png[/img]
[size=67][url=http://www.theville.org/viewtopic.php?t=11702]I've been found out![/url][/size]

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:48 am

[quote="itchy";p="182411"]
* ctf_turbine removed
[/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

O well that CTF map looks awesome.

Nick Mame
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Nick Mame » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:10 am

We start with a public service announcement!

I'm stuck with some life issues for a while so you won't see me around as much as before. Some days I may end up not seeding and some days I may leave at inopportune times. I'll try to keep up best I can, though. Which means that ITCHY is DRAFTED via an UNSTOPPABLE FORCE to handle everything TV2 related! Let's all congratulate itchy with a round of mocking laughter!

furnace and avantiville have been updated to their latest version already. Camping Trip isn't even on the server yet, I was waiting for word from Ian. Probably need to send him a reminder too. On map limits, I got word from Silver that they went through - but it sounded as if they went through a long time ago. So if things aren't working today, there's probably something wrong with the config.

Also, I demand someone do something special so we can oust Plinko. It could be something so simple as donating large sums of money towards server fees! Do make sure you donate that money to me, however... I'll handle it from there...
Interested in custom maps? Join the [url=http://steamcommunity.com/groups/tvii][u]TV2 Seeding Group[/u][/url]!