Remember to back up your characters and worlds, folks...

A forum dedicated to Terraria
Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Remember to back up your characters and worlds, folks...

Post by Will T. » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:24 pm

Today my computer decided that the middle of Terraria's autosave process was the perfect time to crash hard enough to require disk repair. It left my character file corrupted, and apparently Terraria didn't create the .bak file that would have let me restore it, meaning I lost all the gear I've been working towards since starting my current playthrough in June. It just goes to show that keeping a manual backup of your characters is a good idea!

Fortunately not all hope was lost - Terraria has an active modding community, meaning that it's easy to find character generators/editors online. I was able to use this site to remake my character from the ground up, right down to the stuff in my piggy bank and the modifiers on my equipment (several of which I'm sure I got wrong, but I did my best from memory and my recent Steam screenshots). You can also load in existing character files and edit them, which I'm sure I'll be doing as I realize more and more items I forgot to restore. Note that if you generate a new character file as I had to, your minimap and spawn point will be reset.

Character files are stored in your "My Documents/My Games/Terraria/Players" folder as .plr files.